Auroran Era

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Staff

Top posting users this month

No user

Latest topics

» He Knows Not Where He Be [Open]
Breaking and Entering [Closed] EmptyFri Nov 25, 2016 4:11 am by Dai

» Returning Home [Closed]
Breaking and Entering [Closed] EmptySun Nov 20, 2016 8:32 pm by Tsubine

» Serenity's Face Claims
Breaking and Entering [Closed] EmptyTue Nov 15, 2016 2:29 pm by Serenity

» Escape from Ezon [CLOSED]
Breaking and Entering [Closed] EmptyThu Nov 10, 2016 3:25 am by Serenity

» Running on Idle [Closed]
Breaking and Entering [Closed] EmptySun Nov 06, 2016 8:06 am by Schnockles

» The Deflowering [Closed]
Breaking and Entering [Closed] EmptyWed Oct 19, 2016 5:34 pm by Schnockles

» Serenity's Character List
Breaking and Entering [Closed] EmptyMon Oct 17, 2016 10:36 am by Serenity

» Amelia Bennett [APPROVED, 3-5]
Breaking and Entering [Closed] EmptyMon Oct 17, 2016 9:44 am by Tsubine

» Kenta [Approved; 1-2]
Breaking and Entering [Closed] EmptyMon Oct 17, 2016 8:27 am by Serenity

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 4514 messages in 615 subjects

We have 20 registered users

The newest registered user is Illthion

2 posters

Breaking and Entering [Closed]

Tsubine
    Tsubine
    The Not-as-Fun Admin

Humor : "Then just like before: the only way to steal is to steal from the mafia!"

Breaking and Entering [Closed] Empty Breaking and Entering [Closed]

Post by Tsubine Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:03 am

Laplace was home to only a single section of gardens. Located on the southern side of the palace, Laplace's gardens were filled with hedges mostly. Most of the flowers had been taken away. Andrei was not one to care for flowers. Instead, he upgraded and added statues and fountains throughout. He liked the sound of running water, and it was made quite apparent by the quantity of fountains and miniature man-made waterfalls scattered amongst the flora.

Andrei had finished reading the previous day's requests and was now enjoying his afternoon break. He had one guard with him, but many more flanked the paths he took. There were many requests that got through to his desk nowadays. Most of the pointless rabble was handled efficiently enough that he was given only the most worthy requests. One of which was a repeated request from one "Irina Valkov." She had been requesting for assistance in locating her kidnapped daughter. It was one of those stories that tugged at the heartstrings. Usually, it would be sent to a constable. However, her requests were repeating and desperate. They were sent to Andrei's desk only after some of his guards put in requests—which were handled by an entirely separate office—for him to meet with her.

Unfortunately, no one had been able to locate her. A recent scandal involving bribing clerks had seen the entire department shifted around. No one knew this woman's face or story to tell her that she was approved for the meeting. Andrei had passed along a memo this morning that if she filed another request to have her sent to a waiting room immediately—by force, if necessary. But alas, Andrei couldn't be worried about that. He was more worried about the reconstruction of the south wall. The large wall was being reinforced internally and externally. However, the old wall was being torn down for such a thing. It worried him, as someone could easily sneak in over the scaffolding.

Andrei turned a corner to face south. "I'm going to check on the wall." The Emperor's voice was surprisingly mellow and nasal. He had an ego about him, but not arrogance. It was pride for one's country and people. It was a trait he was honored to have. His guard nodded and they continued down the wide path towards the wall.
    Serenity
    Serenity
    The Much-More-Fun Admin

Breaking and Entering [Closed] Empty Re: Breaking and Entering [Closed]

Post by Serenity Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:21 am

Breaking and Entering [Closed] Header5_zpsrej8bsvd

Irina spent her days working odd jobs for people until she would be able to afford her own place. She rented rooms from inns for each night and sometimes had to sleep in the alley or ask another for a bed. People were quite generous at times, but not always. She couldn't use them forever. Most pitied her situation; her desperate search for her daughter was something people couldn't imagine so they helped her more easily. Each day, Irina sat outside the palace, hoping her name would be called or a she'd be approached with good news. Yesterday, she got some news on where he would be. She took this chance and made her way to the construction project, sneaking through the moment she could.

It was dumb for people to go on break at the same time. Irina noticed that about some working in the palace. She'll warn the Emperor if she ever gets to meet him! Irina snuck around until she caught a glimpse of the man she had been looking for. Her eyes widened as a bit of hope began to re-light within them. She was nervous though. How should she approach him? Well, if she wasn't so desperate she might have thought about that. Instead, Irina ran toward him as quickly as she could. "Excuse me! Emperor! Please! Emperor!" she called out. The guards all noticed her and would probably go to attack, but the moment she got close enough, Irina dropped to the ground and slid until she stopped in front of him. "Emperor. Please, I need to speak with you. My name is Irina Valkov. I've filled out request after request, but received no reply. I am in desperate need of your help. You're my last chance..."

Tsubine
    Tsubine
    The Not-as-Fun Admin

Humor : "Then just like before: the only way to steal is to steal from the mafia!"

Post by Tsubine Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:31 am

So, one thing you shouldn't do is charge a VIP. Unless you're their spouse and it's naughty time, you're playing a sport with them, or something similar... just don't do it. Andrei was pushed aside by his single guard and three other guards burst out of the bushes. All of them leveled rifles at the charging woman. Andrei just looked annoyed that his guard pushed him out of the way. He raised an eyebrow at the guard and then the woman. The four men in armor yelled at her to stop. When she dropped, Andrei raised his other eyebrow. It was hard to read his expression. She didn't immediately speak, so he thought she was dead.

When she did speak, Andrei motioned for his guards to lower their weapons. They did so without hesitation. He looked at her with his single eye. "Well, running at me like that also makes it highly probable I'll be your last sight too. Don't do that again." He was firm and threatening with his words, but the tension lifted soon after. "You are a hard woman to find, Miss Valkov. I've tried to send for you, but none of my couriers have been able to locate you. If you had come tomorrow, you would have been seen into a waiting room to meet with me then."

"But you've come today. Although I'm not sure how you got past my guards to get into the gardens, I think you've at least earned enough time with me so I can hear your request." Andrei whispered something to one guard. The guard nodded, then ran off in the direction of the palace. "Lift your head. I always look the person I'm talking to in the eye. I never let them bow their head. So tell me, what is it that you ask of me and my office as Emperor of Zakat?"
    Serenity
    Serenity
    The Much-More-Fun Admin

Post by Serenity Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:45 am

For any moment that he was speaking, Irina shut her mouth. She kept her face low, her nose half an inch from the ground. "I'm sorry." she said quickly when he scolded her. Her eyes widened when he implied he had been trying to find her. So he did get her requests? Irina felt tears welling up, but tried holding them back. When he said to raise her head, she did exactly that. She kept her hands on the ground, but looked up to him. "Emperor, thank you." she said with a tear running down her cheek, "Seventeen years ago, my husband stole my daughter and vanished. I've been looking everywhere. I've been to each city and any town I can find in between. I have not been able to find a trace of him."

"I fear what he will do to her now that she's older. He is a violent and cruel man, one that I planned on leaving, but he found out and that is why he took her. After he beat me, he vanished. You're the only one I can think of that may be able to help me get my little girl back. She was only a baby when she was taken... I don't even know what she'll look like now." Irina lowered her head and was obviously holding back more tears, "Please, Emperor... I need help. I'm giving up hope... I can't do this alone and have no one else that can help me... I really don't know what to do. I'm so desperate..."

Tsubine
    Tsubine
    The Not-as-Fun Admin

Post by Tsubine Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:13 am

Andrei was one hard person to read. The fact he kept his eye half-closed made eye contact hard to keep. But he could read others just fine. And Irina was telling the truth. He listened to her, his expression remaining the same. But inside, he quivered. He knew not her pain, but he could imagine it. She was crying too. Yep, this was bad. Andrei stayed quiet even after she finished. He let her sit in the silence for ten seconds before speaking up.

"Miss Valkov. Do you have strength? Not of body or character, but of mind? Will you blame me if I can not find your daughter? If she is found dead? If she is found in a state where death would be preferred? What if she wants to kill you? Will you take your own life if any of those things happen? I will not help you if you pin the blame on me or the Empire if those things happen. But nor will I be responsible for your death either if the outcome is not what you desire." Andrei's voice was cold and hard.

"That being said... 'A daughter without a mother will grow to be a fine man, but a poor woman.' I once heard that as a soldier. If this is not a happy reunion, I will only be able to offer my condolences. I also can not promise that we will even find your daughter. Especially if she is in a foreign country. So here are my conditions for accepting your request. One, I will not make any guarantee on finding your daughter. Two, the Empire will not cover any expenses other than lodging, food, and transportation. Any other expenses will have to be paid by you. Three, you are to leave the search proper to professionals. Four, you are not to leave Iserlohn while the search is being conducted. Do you find these to be acceptable?"
    Serenity
    Serenity
    The Much-More-Fun Admin

Post by Serenity Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:26 am

Irina was confused by his question. Does she have strength? His explanation made things a bit clearer. "I understand why you asked those questions, but I'm not that strong anymore. However, I'm not stupid or unable to think logically about a situation. I will not blame you or the Empire. I will not harm myself if things do not go like I want them to. I just need help. I've been alone in this for so long... I just need the help." Irina explained as clearly as she could. She didn't feel like she was mentally strong, but she wasn't one to point blame where it didn't belong. The Emperor went on and Irina listened intently.

Irina was completely surprised. She stared at him with wide eyes. Joy practically exploded within them. "That is more than I ever thought could be offered. I thought I would be searching through files and records on my own, but you're okay with hiring professionals for me? That's a blessing, Emperor. Thank you so much." Irina looked around and then back to him. "Do you mind if I stand up?" Once given the okay, Irina stood up and wiped off her skirt. "For the first time in a very long time, I feel like I can smile again..." Irina wiped a final tear from her eyes and then pointed back toward the wall, "Your guards take breaks at the same time. It's how I was able to get in. They shouldn't do that."

Tsubine
    Tsubine
    The Not-as-Fun Admin

Post by Tsubine Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:39 am

"The professionals I am talk about already work for me. The Imperial government is more efficient than people give it credit for." Andrei had a small smirk, then nodded as she asked to get up. "That is good to know. I'm going to have those guards disciplined for their lax behavior." Andrei motioned for her to follow as he began walking back towards the palace proper. "You made one mistake, Miss Valkov."

"You should have been smiling for your daughter this whole time. Crying for her, lamenting over her taking... It just wears at your spirit and drive. But smiling for two people... It gives you the strength to continue on. And it is a better story to tell her. What is her name, by the way? You never told me." Andrei asked with genuine curiosity in his voice. "Mm, a pretty name. And how old would she be now?" After getting that answer, Andrei nodded. "A few years older than my daughters... I can say that your ex-husband must have gone through hell while she was going through her early teenage years. I know just how hard it is on a single father." Andrei had a wistful smile, but shook his head. "Are you living in Iserlohn now?"
    Serenity
    Serenity
    The Much-More-Fun Admin

Post by Serenity Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:55 pm

"I didn't mean to get anyone in trouble. Everyone needs a break and they probably want to take it with their friends... They should just break right near the opening, or they could have different friends break at different times. It depends on whet-..." Irina stopped when she realized she was rambling and bowed, "Sorry. I sometimes talk too much, especially when I'm nervous. And it's a little scary being near someone like you. N-Not that you're scary! I mean, you are, but not in a bad sense... It's more intimidating, which is good becau-..." She stopped again and smacked herself on the forehead, her cheeks flushed with embarrassment, "I'm doing it again, sorry. I'll try and stop that, My mistake."

Irina followed as instructed, but wasn't sure where to stand. She stood behind him first, then moved to the side, and then moved to stand by him, but that felt off, so she backed up again. "Her name is Anastasia Valkov." Irina said with pride, making sure her little girl went on with her last name, not her Fathers, "She'll be eighteen now. I've missed every important part of her growing up." Irina wanted to explain why she cried. It was because of what might be happening to her daughter, but the Emperor was chatty! It was kind of cute, actually, but she didn't expect it! She couldn't help but smile at him. "Actually I don't have a home here. I've been traveling. I haven't had a home or job in years."

Tsubine
    Tsubine
    The Not-as-Fun Admin

Post by Tsubine Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:31 pm

"It's no big deal, Miss Valkov." Andrei spoke with a half-smile on his face. "Most people that talk too much around me are talking about themselves, their earnings, and their wants. You're just talking. There is a bit of a special difference with you." The two continued to walk. He noticed that she was falling behind, so he slowed his pace. It wasn't long before he realized she was doing it on purpose. Must be out of respect.

"Hm, that won't do. There's an apartment complex near the palace, Hillstrom Arms. It's only full of studio apartments meant for a single dweller. I'll pay for two months' rent there. After that, you'll be required to pay the rent on your own." Andrei motioned for one of his guards to take note of this. They'd be passing it onto his staff. "And you'll need a job, of course. Actually..." Andrei turned around and studied her up and down. "What kind of work are you familiar with? Are you good with paperwork, filing, and/or scheduling? I'm in need of someone to fill in as a secretary in a couple of weeks while another is on maternity leave. It will only be temporary, but it will look good on a resume. Do you think you can pass a security clearance, background, and drug check?"

Serenity
    Serenity
    The Much-More-Fun Admin

Post by Serenity Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:52 pm

Breaking and Entering [Closed] Header4_zpselgd9hms

"This man..." Irina was speechless. When he turned to her, she stopped in her tracks and stared at him with a look of awe on her face. Irina answered his final question with a slow nod. "You're amazing." Irina stated in the most sincere and upfront way one could. It was like it just slipped out and had an air of surprise. She obviously didn't expect this much. "All in one day, you've offered help in finding my child, giving me a home to start out with, and a job. I can't explain how I feel right now. I'm delighted, nervous, hopeful, excited, thankful, and scared to death, but..." Irina sighed and giggled, "I'm really just a house wife, but before that I was a secretary for a large lumber company in Aurizon."

"That was nineteen years ago though, before I got pregnant. Oh, how exciting!" Irina ran her fingers through her hair and shuffled her feet excitedly, holding  back a lot of sqee. She looked around the gardens for no reason. She looked up to the palace for no reason. She hopped around, spinning, and swinging her arms out of glee. "Oh my goodness, I swear, I'd hug you if I didn't think I'd get shot!" she said with another excited foot shuffle and then realized once again how she was acting. "Oh my." she stopped and looked to him with a huge blush on her face, "So sorry. I think I may have gone a bit over board there. I just haven't felt so much joy in so long. I really should contr-. Not rambling again. Aye."

Tsubine
    Tsubine
    The Not-as-Fun Admin

Post by Tsubine Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:11 pm

Awe was something he was used to, truthfully. He just nodded along as she spoke. She was excited, and it was good to see. He actually began to smile a bit with her smiling. And her twirling. And her hopping. He was going to call it cute before the thought escaped him. She looked to be at least ten years younger than he was. He just couldn't do that. "It's fine, it's fine. I'm glad you were able to feel so excited. It's not a big offer, but it's something that will keep you above the poverty line."

Andrei motioned for her to follow again. "I can at least give you a tour of Laplace." Andrei and Irina entered the palace. Immediately, the atmosphere changed. The spartan garden led into a marble-floored hallway. The tall windows glistened in the sunlight. White stone statues lined the hall, but more than that... There were people walking throughout. The garden was empty besides Andrei, Irina, and his guards. But the inside of Laplace was completely different. Other secretaries and couriers walked briskly. Guards patrolled and saluted Andrei. He nodded and waved, his half-smile back on his face.

"You won't be running around like the interns, so don't worry about that." Andrei showed her around the first floor. "Have you lived in Zakat your whole life?" Andrei asked her a few questions like that, but as they reached the stairs to the second floor, Andrei's face dropped into a more serious form. "Tell me... what problems have you seen across the country?"
    Serenity
    Serenity
    The Much-More-Fun Admin

Post by Serenity Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:28 pm

Irina was happy. There was nothing else to describe it. She was just happy. She followed the Emperor through the palace and was surprised about how busy it was. She looked around with a dropped jaw. She hopped out of peoples way, not used to the flow of the palace. "There are a lot more people in here than I thought." Irina did her best to take in the scenery, but this was rather fast paced. She kept feeling like she was going to bump into someone. It wasn't even like this at the company she worked for. "Well that's a relief..." she replied happily about the intern comment. "I certainly have. Can't imagine living anywhere else. I've been just about everywhere too. I'm actually rather well traveled."

As they reached the staircase to the second floor, Irina thought about his question. His demeanor changed. "You're really worried about what's happening out there, aren't you?" she tilted her head and asked sweetly, but then realized the implications, "Well, being the Emperor, obviously you are worried about the state of your country and the people... It's just nice to hear it from the Emperor himself. Being out there, you don't really know what's going on in this big place. Everyone has their problems, big and small, but..." Irina looked out toward the busy floor, "...it's nice to know that the man we all look to for guidance is as the man we all think. It'd be disappointing to find out you didn't care."

Irina was rambling again. She mentally hit herself and then squinted her eyes. "Problems... problems..." Irina looked annoyed for a moment and then crossed her arms, "I'm not sure I can answer that question actually. The people of Zakat live a very different life than I have. I travel from city to city or town to town. I haven't had a job in years because of it. I don't deal with the every day issues that need to be fixed. I can tell you where would be a good place to settle a new town because of a nice river or good mine nearby. I can tell you where roads need to be kept up because they're used more than the Empire thinks. I could tell you where some bandits hide, but not any every day things."

Tsubine
    Tsubine
    The Not-as-Fun Admin

Post by Tsubine Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:41 am

Andrei nodded. He was worried about the problems out there. From poverty to bandits to droughts, all of it fell on his shoulders. It was just a good thing that he had the power to chunk the responsibility away. He'd pass it to people who had experts in those fields. Economists, bounty hunters, and agriculturists were all among the staff in the Imperial government. His half smile returned as she talked. He was glad that she saw that he did care. People thought that their problems didn't matter to the Emperor. But they did, as much as he could care at least.

Andrei reached out and patted the top of Irina's head before turning and walking up the stairs. "The people have an image in their head of someone noble, rich, and well-bred as their Emperor. The only thing out of those that I have is the last. My family served in the Imperial Royal Guard for generations before I was given the throne. And it didn't always pay well.The life of a soldier doesn't pay well either at first. It covers needs, but not all wants. Don't do it all in one sitting, but putting the roads in need of repair, locations of good ore deposits, and bandit hideouts on a map and passing them to the respective departments will help more than you can imagine."

They continued down the halls of the second floor. This is where many offices were located. Andrei introduced her to many of the higher-ranking clerks, and Irina even got to meet the head treasurer—Illya Lybochek. "What do you think of Laplace so far? Many people say it's a lot bigger than they thought."
    Serenity
    Serenity
    The Much-More-Fun Admin

Post by Serenity Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:57 am

Irina stiffened, blushed, and mentally giggled like a school girl meeting her favorite celebrity. She could not believe that the Emperor just pat her head. She curled in on herself and smiled widely. That was something she could get used to, especially since the last man that touched her beat her. "You've worked your way up. That's wonderful. It's good to have someone who knows both sides of the spectrum. Someone who was born rich won't understand the troubles of someone who wasn't. The same goes for the reverse." Irina put her hands behind her back, fiddling with her fingers as she received the rest of the tour. She did her best to hold a short, but sweet conversation with the treasurer out of respect for both of them. She didn't want to waste the Emperor's time, but ignoring Mr. Lybochek felt wrong. She gave a friendly wave when Mr. Lybochek left and turned to the Emperor.

"Laplace is quite beautiful, though I am still surprised it's so busy... It seems to be run more like a business. I'm not sure if people in Zakat know that... I think most think of it more like a Castle, at least those in the south do." Irina explained. She had never been this far north and things were a bit different. She had seen quite a lot of Zakat in her travels and this city was the grandest. Of course, she may be a little bias since this was the only place that gave her a bit of hope. Well, the Emperor did at least. "It's definitely a lot bigger than it looks, though it looks pretty big from the outside too... I do have a question. Since it feels so... industrious, where do you get to slee- Wait, don't answer that! Aye..." Irina hit her forehead again, face-palming herself. "That sounded horrible! I'm sorry. Too nosy, so rude. I was just curious because everything seems to busy and... Oh, Irina you're dumb."

Tsubine
    Tsubine
    The Not-as-Fun Admin

Post by Tsubine Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:40 am

Andrei enjoyed Irina's talk. Her talk with Lybochek was a bit of a test for Andrei. She'd be working with some of Lybochek's staff, so seeing how she interacted with one of her bosses was needed. And she interacted well. "You know, Miss Valkov, that's something I never thought of. It is run like a business here. I'd say it's run well." There was a bit of pride in his voice, then he just shook his head before speaking on Laplace itself.

"I sleep on the third floor. Though, I'm afraid that area won't be on your tour. Until I can get you a security clearance at least. Even though you seem to be a kind woman, I can't let you know where me and my family sleep." Andrei had an apologetic look on his face before shaking it off. "Do you have any questions for me?"

Serenity
    Serenity
    The Much-More-Fun Admin

Post by Serenity Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:36 am

"Yeah, just a few... When do you get to have fun? Do you have friends? If everyone needs security clearance, who can you even trust not to... well, do anything bad? I mean... Mm... Maybe that's a conversation for another day." Irina took a deep breath and sighed, smiling again at the Emperor, "Thank you for everything you've done for me, and are going to do. If you ever need anything, and I really do mean anything, do not hesitate to call on me. If I have the ability, I'll aid you in any way you ask. Thank you, again... for everything. And you said I can start up in a new apartment?"

Tsubine
    Tsubine
    The Not-as-Fun Admin

Post by Tsubine Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:33 pm

"It's understandable that you're curious about such things. You didn't see them, but there are tennis courts in the garden. You'll probably find me there just as much as you'll find me in my office." Andrei probably said a little too much, but it wasn't that big of an issue. People knew he played tennis. Anyone that stayed around him for long enough knew that, so he might as well get that bit of information out of the way.

"You won't have to worry about me hesitating. You will be called upon." Andrei nodded. "Yes. I'll have a courier show you to your apartment." The guard from before ran over, holding a few sheets of paper on a clipboard. "Ah, good. Excellent timing, lieutenant." The guard saluted as he caught his breath. "This is your rental agreement, Miss Valkov. No pets with fur or feathers, no guests that stay over 7 days, all modifications must be pre-approved by the building manager, et cetera. All general stuff, really. Nothing too special about the agreement." Andrei reached into his breast pocket and grabbed a pen and handed the clipboard and pen to Irina. "Welcome to Iserlohn, Miss Valkov."

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:33 am