Auroran Era

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Staff

Top posting users this month

No user

Latest topics

» He Knows Not Where He Be [Open]
Winter Wonderland [Closed] EmptyFri Nov 25, 2016 4:11 am by Dai

» Returning Home [Closed]
Winter Wonderland [Closed] EmptySun Nov 20, 2016 8:32 pm by Tsubine

» Serenity's Face Claims
Winter Wonderland [Closed] EmptyTue Nov 15, 2016 2:29 pm by Serenity

» Escape from Ezon [CLOSED]
Winter Wonderland [Closed] EmptyThu Nov 10, 2016 3:25 am by Serenity

» Running on Idle [Closed]
Winter Wonderland [Closed] EmptySun Nov 06, 2016 8:06 am by Schnockles

» The Deflowering [Closed]
Winter Wonderland [Closed] EmptyWed Oct 19, 2016 5:34 pm by Schnockles

» Serenity's Character List
Winter Wonderland [Closed] EmptyMon Oct 17, 2016 10:36 am by Serenity

» Amelia Bennett [APPROVED, 3-5]
Winter Wonderland [Closed] EmptyMon Oct 17, 2016 9:44 am by Tsubine

» Kenta [Approved; 1-2]
Winter Wonderland [Closed] EmptyMon Oct 17, 2016 8:27 am by Serenity

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 4514 messages in 615 subjects

We have 20 registered users

The newest registered user is Illthion

2 posters

Winter Wonderland [Closed]

Tsubine
    Tsubine
    The Not-as-Fun Admin

Humor : "Then just like before: the only way to steal is to steal from the mafia!"

Winter Wonderland [Closed] Empty Winter Wonderland [Closed]

Post by Tsubine Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:56 pm

Winter Wonderland [Closed] Header11

"Professor Ryence, have a safe trip home. And try not to overwork yourself this winter." It was obvious with that much cleavage showing on this cold, winter day that she was trying to get to Alain's trusty magnum and test fire it herself. But no matter how many times this co-worker tried to bring it out of its holster, Alain would always keep himself under control. It's not that she wasn't attractive. She was 5'4 with brown hair and green eyes that shone like looking at the sun through a leaf. She was beautiful, as a matter of fact. And she had a good personality too even. But why did Alain not try to see what secrets she held beneath that revealing outfit? Basically, it was the fact that she was a new professor. But even that wasn't the problem. The problem was that she was once his neighbor and he was 10-ish years older than she was. Then, there was the fact he had babysat her quite a few times... It'd just be too awkward for him.

"I'll try Professor. You do the same. It's cold out, so you might want to cover up." Alain waved to his coworker and grabbed his blue jacket. The snow to Rydian had been shoveled out already thankfully, so he didn't have to worry about too much. The sidewalks were even salted, so there wasn't any ice. Light snow was still falling here and there, and there were many children enjoying it. Snowballs, snowmen, sleds, all of that winter stuff could be seen. It looked fun, frankly. But he needed to get home. He started to hum a familiar winter-esque song known in Arcadia as he strolled along the half-hour trek to his home. He liked making the walk. It kept him in shape and he never knew what to expect.

But the biggest surprise was when he got to his home. Alain's entire front of his house... was buried deep in snow. The roof's steep angle prevented snow from staying on for too long. Plus, there was an opening in the trees that allowed for much more snow to just concentrate in one area. And that area was his front door. Thankfully, Alain knew this could happen. The side door was always kept clear of snow because of a special roof that pushed the snow to the sides. Not to mention it had trees that helped absorb some of the snow. But the actual snow wasn't what surprised him. Actually, it was the leg twitching out of the snow pile. A very feminine leg was flailing around. From underneath the snowpile, he heard a more familiar voice... or something that sounded like it.

Alain didn't panic. He started digging with his hands about where he could hear the voice coming from. The snow was not packed in, so it was easy to get the snow out of the way. It wasn't too much work until that sweet face he had rescued about a month ago popped out of the snow. He smiled to her, and crouched down. "This is what you get for not coming back when you said you would." He awaited her response before he'd start digging the rest of her out.

Left For Mission and Then To Zakat: November 3rd
    Returned (This Thread): December 5th

Serenity
    Serenity
    The Much-More-Fun Admin

Winter Wonderland [Closed] Empty Re: Winter Wonderland [Closed]

Post by Serenity Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:55 pm

Winter Wonderland [Closed] Serenity3_zps62cc6697

It wasn't easy to describe the long journey Serenity had been on. It was supposed to be a quick five day trip to a village within the country, but it turned into a month long adventure to Zakat. She was easily guided to leaving Arcadia to help a woman in need, arrived, and did as she was asked. In the process, she made three new friends, one of them being the Emperor of Zakat, the Emperor's (assumed) girlfriend, and the Emperor's sister. What could beat meeting so many important people? There wasn't much, but Serenity only wanted to get home. That was it. As she made it back to Colburn after a long, long time of walking back through Arcadia to get home, she noticed things were a bit different. A month had passed, so it was understandable that the weather took a bit of a turn. It was lightly snowing as she walked, the sidewalks were salted so she did not slip, though she was still careful because of her naturally clumsy behavior. It was about an hour before Alain would normally get home from work, so she didn't feel the need to rush home and took her time walking back.

After a few minutes, she finally made it to the house, but was stopped. She wasn't stopped by another person or an animal, no. She was stopped by an obstacle she did not ever expect. "Is there really a six foot tall wall of snow blocking the house?" she thought. Her eyes fluttered a bit in shock as she attempted to peek over the top, only to see more snow in her face. She was too short. She looked to the left and more snow. She looked to the right and more snow. There was only one way, that she thought, she could go and that was forward. With a determined sticking-out-your-tongue expression, she stepped forward and began attempting to push the snow from her path. She made it a little under a foot in and slipped. She caught herself once and continued digging until a Serenity-sized path was created for her. Unfortunately, snow was her enemy right now and it wasn't one she could purify. She slipped again and fell. As if it would help stop her fall, she reached out to grab snow. Of course, the snow was too soft to help catch her, so she continued her tumble.

"Ow..." she whined a bit and then glared up at the sides of the snow wall she had created around her as she fell into it. Not thinking of what she was doing, she hit the side of the wall. She went to turn over when she heard a little ruffle. Looking up, she saw the snow falling toward her. "Eep!!" she squeaked as snow from both sides collapsed in on her entire body. She tried to move, but couldn't. How was snow holding her down!? She was so weak! Feeling more pathetic than before, she began squirming around, but nothing  helped. In fact, she felt more snow piling onto her. The only thing she could tell was revealed was a single leg. Defeated, she laid there in wait. After some time passed her by and she was beyond freezing, Serenity heard someone coming. She wiggled her leg around to get attention, hoping that it wasn't some animal or something. "Alain!" she called out, but her voice was quite muffled. She felt weight lifting from her body and helped out by pushing snow off of her.

"This is what you get for not coming back when you said you would." Serenity looked up to see Alain standing there. He came over and crouched near her and she pushed up a smile, though her teeth were chattering and her body was shivering. "A-Alain... I-I'm really cold..." was all she said before she squirmed around, trying to push herself out of the snow. The moment she'd get out, she'd stand up and shake herself like a dog. Still freezing in this weather, Serenity would sort of dive into Alain and hold onto him. "Too cold. Too cold. Way, way too cold." she said, her body shaking from the freezing temperatures, "H-How... d-do we get i-inside?" she looked back toward the snow and then back up to him. She did wonder why this hadn't been shoveled out at this point. How could it get this bad? How was he able to get out of the house? "H-Have you been locked out of the h-house because of the snow, Alain?" she said in a very worried tone before he could answer her previous question.
    Tsubine
    Tsubine
    The Not-as-Fun Admin

Humor : "Then just like before: the only way to steal is to steal from the mafia!"

Post by Tsubine Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:18 pm

"A-Alain... I-I'm really cold..." Serenity started to struggle to get out, so Alain helped her. He dusted off some of the snow, and smiled at her. But then his breath was knocked out by a sudden dive into him. He was able to still stand, but that still hurt a bit. "Too cold. Too cold. Way, way too cold." Alain dusted off the snow that was atop her head. It definitely was cold, and he didn't know how long she had been stuck. "H-How... d-do we get i-inside? H-Have you been locked out of the h-house because of the snow, Alain?" But Alain wasn't going to worry too much. He could still have some fun. "Yes, I have been sleeping in my office for the past two weeks." He joked for a second before correcting himself, going back to worrying about how long she had been in there. "I'm kidding. No, no I have not been locked out of my house. The side-door is pretty much always clear of snow even when it's like this. The trees back there keep it from piling up like it does here."

Alain then led his little house guest to the other side of his house. And sure enough, the door was clear of everything but about an inch of snow. Nothing to worry about. He took his keys out of his pocket and unlocked the door. He took his jacket off first, and then Serenity's when she got inside. He flipped on the lights and there wasn't much different from when she had left almost a month ago. Alain hurried over to the fireplace and began lighting it. He then pushed her over to the fire, and put down a blanket so she could sit on it and not the tiled floor. "So tell me, what kept you away for so long? Your note says five days... it's been a little more than five days." He walked over and pulled out cocao powder and two white mugs, but he was going to see what she had been doing for all that time before he'd start actually making the drink.

Serenity
    Serenity
    The Much-More-Fun Admin

Post by Serenity Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:56 pm

"Yes, I have been sleeping in my office for the past two weeks." Serenity gasped, her eyes widening at him when he said that. "I'm kidding. No, no I have not been locked out of my house. The side-door is pretty much always clear of snow even when it's like this. The trees back there keep it from piling up like it does here." Her expression softened in relief, but then hardened to a glare. "D-Don't do that! I'd f-feel bad if you were out here that long..." Serenity glanced off toward the snow and then back to him. Her shivering wasn't letting up. She had been stuck for at least twenty minutes in the snow. The fact that she didn't have hypothermia was pretty surprising, but relieving as well. "Wait... really?" she blinked a couple times when she realized what he had said about the side door. She was lead along to the side and tilted her head when she saw that he was right. Looking up to the trees above, she noticed they did have an awful lot of snow on them and smiled widely.

After the door was unlocked, Serenity stepped inside into a semi-warm house. Compared to the cold of being buried under a few feet of snow, this was heaven. Still, she'd need to warm up. Nothing had changed since she left, which made her happy. Feeling something tug at her shoulders, she smiled back to Alain as he took her jacket for her. "Thank you." she said happily, "I'm so glad to be home!!!" With that last sentence, she waved her arms rapidly, like a child hyped up for something they had just received. Once she stopped, she took in a deep breath and just relaxed. Her first destination was going to be the kitchen, but Alain had other plans. As she started walking toward it, she was stopped, turned around, and gently pushed over to the warmth of a newly lit fire. Blinking a couple times, she sat down on the blanket that was set out for her and held her hands out toward the warmth of the fire. "So tell me, what kept you away for so long? Your note says five days... it's been a little more than five days." ... Oh he asked for it. And here came the long and hyped up story of Serenity's journey.

Upon hearing that question, Serenity turned toward him with a normal expression. At least it was normal at first, but then her smile slowly grew, almost in a creepy fashion. When her smile was a full, her eyes lit up with happiness and shined quite childishly, but oh so very cute. "You will never believe me! But I'm gonna tell you anyway! I went to the village and did what I normally do, right? I helped the people with C.A.E., but then something happened! I was on my way back and a bear attacked me! Yep, a big bear! I had to run and run, but I wasn't getting away. I wasn't paying attention to where I was going and suddenly wooosh! I fell and rolled down this long hill and hurt my ankle. I was lucky though, because Solon came and helped me back to the village. Of course, after that these jerks decided they were going to try and take me somewhere and you know... do bad things, but Solon saved me from them too and got stabbed in the process." For that moment, Serenity's expression saddened when thinking about how Solon got hurt; It was her fault and that made her feel pretty darn bag about the situation..

"Oh, oh, oh, but that's not even the most amazing part. After I was done at the village and could walk home, right before I got to the house, this woman approached me and said that someone in Zakat needed my help." Serenity said that and smiled even wider because she liked what that meant, "Yep, I went all the way to Zakat to help... Guess, guess, guess!!" Serenity waited excitedly for a moment to see if he'd guess, but then spoke out a few seconds later, "The Emperor! The Emperor of Zakat needed my help. When I got there, I found out that her sister, and yes the Emperor is a woman, but her sister was..." Serenity stopped and pointed seriously at him, "You have to promise and swear that you will never ever, ever, ever, ever, ever tell anyone anything about what I am going to tell you. It's not my business to tell, but I trust you and since I live with you, I refuse to keep any secrets, but this is one I may have to unless you swear!" Serenity looked at him very seriously, waiting to hear his reply before she'd continue on talking about what happened. It wasn't exactly her story to tell.
    Tsubine
    Tsubine
    The Not-as-Fun Admin

Post by Tsubine Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:14 pm

The home seemed to light up with her there. It's not as though Alain was in some sort of fugue state, but the house seemed to be. Yes, for some reason there seemed to be life in this old almost-snowed-in manor after she returned. The air was no longer silent, nor was it cold and still. With her around, the air was almost bouncy and warm. Alain started to pour hot water into the mugs, looking at Serenity while doing so. Then he saw a sweet, innocent smile turn almost into one that looked like something a slasher would have. The different was, it didn't have malice behind it. He continued to pour the hot water into the mugs, eventually filling them just enough for the cocoa powder to make the drink fill about one centimeter away from the brim. He mixed the two together as he listened to her story.

Serenity told him of her healing this village of C.A.E., and then of a bear attacking her. For some reason, he just imagined her trying to talk the bear away. And then she mentioned this Solon guy, and Alain wanted to thank him for saving her. But then she started to talk about something else. Something about going to Zakat, and then she asked for him to guess who she met. "Judging by your luck, I'm going to say some mafios—" "The Emperor!" Alain almost dropped the two mugs like that. All because of who she had met. Meeting the Queen of Arcadia was an uncommon thing, but Zakat... Alain had been to the isolationist country once or twice and security, especially towards foreigners, was always extremely tight. So for Serenity to have met the Emperor... it was more than surprising. "The Emperor of Zakat needed my help. When I got there, I found out that her sister, and yes the Emperor is a woman, but her sister was..." Alain had heard the rumors that Zakat's current Emperor was a woman, but for it to be true was surprising.

"You have to promise and swear that you will never ever, ever, ever, ever, ever tell anyone anything about what I am going to tell you. It's not my business to tell, but I trust you and since I live with you, I refuse to keep any secrets, but this is one I may have to unless you swear!" That made Alain worry. Why was she so intent on keeping this a secret, whatever it was? It was worrisome, but Alain wouldn't do anything to betray her trust on this, unless she was in direct danger. "Er... fine, I won't tell anyone, I promise." He walked over, bringing her one of the two mugs of hot cocoa, and sat down beside her. Alain was beginning to be curious on what the Emperor was like, but he'd wait on her to finish before asking anything on one of the leaders of the six nations.

Serenity
    Serenity
    The Much-More-Fun Admin

Post by Serenity Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:23 am

"Er... fine, I won't tell anyone, I promise."

Serenity's eyes lit up again. As he walked over and handed her the mug, she adjusted to sitting with her legs together and off to the side, the way women usually sit in skirts. She pat the blanket next to her so he'd sit down close and took in the nice aroma of the hot cocoa. She placed the mug to her lips and slowly took in a sip until she randomly decided to take a large gulp. She leaned away as she swallowed and set the mug down where it wouldn't be hit or spilled. Sitting normally, she winced a little and placed her hands on her cheeks. "Oww... hot, hot, hot..." she whined a little, but soon the heat died down and she was feeling much warmer than before, "Ah... So what was I saying?" She glanced off for a moment and then remembered. A big smile returned to her face and she clapped her hands together. "Right! The Emperor has a sister... And I wouldn't be shocked if you've heard of her; she doesn't have the best of reputations... Have you ever heard of Eira von Zarkonheinz?"

She waited. She truly wanted to see whether he had heard that name before. She had only heard rumors about the woman and none of them came with a positive connotation. "She did a lot of bad things; she killed quite a lot of people." Serenity said and her head was lowered again, "But she's a nice person. She didn't mean to do any of those things. Something was in her... I don't understand what it was, but it... darkened her heart, it corrupted her, forcing her to do things she wouldn't have normally done and twisting her mind from love and peace and into hatred and violence... That's why I was gone... I used my powers to remove that corruption... and she's back to normal again." Serenity picked up the mug and took another large drink. Ignoring the heat, she swallowed and enjoyed the warm feeling going into her stomach. This was warming her up pretty well. "I can't believe someone would do that to someone so nice... Eira didn't deserve that. No one would, but especially not her."

Serenity would stay silent for a few moments. She had a lot on her mind because of what happened back in Zakat. If he hadn't asked her what happened, she likely would have held onto the information for a while, at least until she'd calm her mind enough and then talk when she was ready. "Mmm... I missed being here." Serenity couldn't do anything but describe this place as her home, even if she was usually out in the forest. Something about being here just felt right, she could only hope that a certain someone felt the same way. "Me being here isn't a burden, is it?" Serenity was trying to change the subject. The other one was someone else's secret, so she shouldn't have said anything at all, but Serenity would have felt horrible for lying to Alain when he opened up his home to her. "So... what have you been doing while I was gone? Is work keeping you pretty busy?" She took another drink of the hot cocoa, this time only a sip since she felt warm enough to not down a lot of it.
    Tsubine
    Tsubine
    The Not-as-Fun Admin

Post by Tsubine Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:04 am

"Right! The Emperor has a sister... And I wouldn't be shocked if you've heard of her; she doesn't have the best of reputations... Have you ever heard of Eira von Zarkonheinz?" Pretty much everyone in Arcadia had heard that name in one way or another. Most depictions of her were a woman ten feet tall wielding a sword made of skulls. It wasn't entirely accurate, as Alain guessed, but something made her seem that terrifying. "I have heard that name, but I honestly thought that was just a story people told at campfires to scare others... to think she's actually real is a little scary." Alain took a sip of his cocoa. It wasn't too hot for him. He put the right amount of hot water in it for him, but he forgot Serenity wasn't him. He'd have to make sure to cool hers down a bit. Though, she needed to be more warmed up than cooled right now.

Serenity went on toe explain about what Eira was like and what she could tell was happening to her. As a professor, Alain's interest was piqued. Nothing like this has been reported to his knowledge. And for it to be that fabled Eira that it was affecting... it was definitely interesting. "That's certainly not a magic I've heard of, so I don't know what could have done that. I mean, it could be a mind-control magic but those have major time limits... and aren't really something that corrupts one's heart..." He pondered for a moment, looking up at the ceiling. But he sighed and took a sip of his cocoa and turned to Serenity. "Once the college is re-opened, I'll go back and look in the archives to see if there's anything like that." "I can't believe someone would do that to someone so nice... Eira didn't deserve that. No one would, but especially not her." Without hesitation, he replied. "Bad things happen to good people. But the reverse doesn't happen. So the fact you were able to cure her is a good thing." That's right. Good things don't happen to bad people. Bad people get the COLD FIST OF JUSTICE. Thankfully, neither person in this house was a bad person. In fact, one person was the epitome of a good person. And the other was just a good-looking person.

"Mmm... I missed being here." Alain leaned back slightly, using his arm as a support. "I think here missed you too." "Me being here isn't a burden, is it?" "If you were a burden, I would have left you in the snow." Alain smiled at her. The problem was... even he didn't know if he was joking or not. But she wasn't a burden. She helped bring a bit of a life to this house that was mostly empty. Whether it was her humming she thought no one heard while she was cooking or just coming home from work to a "Welcome home, Alain!" it didn't matter. She just brought a sort-of life no one else could bring here. "So... what have you been doing while I was gone? Is work keeping you pretty busy?"

"Let's see, I had to break up two fights... and I was chosen to be a monitor for final exams for the graduating class of Sorcerers. Oh there was one thing that happened..." Alain stood up and walked over to his chair. Beside it was a small basket full of magazines and newspapers. But there was one that stood out. It was sticking out slightly, and Alain grinned with an almost evil and child-like smirk when he picked it out. He wouldn't let her see anything on it... until he was back in his original spot beside her. He turned, with the most serious expression one could make, and held up the paper so she could see it. "I got another picture in the weekly paper." As he said that, his face lit up. He was happy. Something so trivial made him a little happy. The picture of him wasn't anything special. It was him on the deck of his house, playing his guitar. The reporter must have seen that and thought it captured what Colburnese were supposed to be like in his mind. "And the best part is, this time it's not for being at Rydian. Nope, this is from a report about Colburn as a whole and its reputation in Arcadia. Look out, you're living with a celebrity now." He joked a bit with that last sentence. He wasn't a famous actor like Richard Upney Senior, no he was just found at the right time and the right moment.

Serenity
    Serenity
    The Much-More-Fun Admin

Post by Serenity Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:09 pm

Part of her wished Alain had said no. "I have heard that name, but I honestly thought that was just a story people told at campfires to scare others... to think she's actually real is a little scary." was his reply. This still made her feel bad; Eira was not a bad person. "There's nothing to be scared of... not anymore." she explained and then went on with her explanation. "That's certainly not a magic I've heard of, so I don't know what could have done that. I mean, it could be a mind-control magic but those have major time limits... and aren't really something that corrupts one's heart..." Serenity narrowed her eyes. "It's not a magic I've heard of either... I may not be a specialist on the subject, but I know for a fact that it wasn't a disease..." Serenity said, assuming the only thing she could mess with were diseases. She had no idea that she was able to actually cleanse magics, until now. She smiled and looked to her hands, "I guess I've learned something new about my powers..."

"Once the college is re-opened, I'll go back and look in the archives to see if there's anything like that." Serenity nodded. It sounded good to her. Hopefully he'd be able to dig something up on what had taken Eira over like that. If so, she'd have to report it to the Emperor too. Still, she wished it hadn't happened to Eira of all people. Why couldn't it have happened to someone mean?! "Bad things happen to good people. But the reverse doesn't happen. So the fact you were able to cure her is a good thing." Serenity nodded again, pushing up a small smile as his words made her feel better. "Yes, that's very good." she said softly, taking a sip of hot cocoa. Again, she felt so much at home being here, but wondered if it really was okay that she was sorta taking over his house, kinda, not really, but still. "If you were a burden, I would have left you in the snow." And he didn't leave her in the snow, so apparently she wasn't a burden to him! That made her feel a bit better. And of course, she had to ask how he was doing, it wasn't fair to just tell her story.

"Let's see, I had to break up two fights... and I was chosen to be a monitor for final exams for the graduating class of Sorcerers. Oh there was one thing that happened..." Serenity tilted her head to the side as she took the final drink of her hot cocoa, glad to finish it before it had the chance to cool. She watched him pick up something and looked at him suspiciously. "What's that?" she asked, but the paper was held up. The first thing she saw was a very... very good picture of Alain. She smiled widely. "I got another picture in the weekly paper." There was something about his smile at that moment. She wasn't able to place it, but he looked so handsome. "And the best part is, this time it's not for being at Rydian. Nope, this is from a report about Colburn as a whole and its reputation in Arcadia. Look out, you're living with a celebrity now." Something about it caught her attention more than usual; there was a very different look in her eyes, one that was likely noticed easily, but she couldn't make it go away. "You look wonderful." and there was a new tone there. It was soft, sweet, and hinted at a little something more than admiration.

She couldn't look away until she realized that she had been staring for quite some time. Forcing her eyes in another direction, she turned toward the fire and stared at it. "What was that?" she asked herself, trying to keep a straight face. Her heart was racing, so she placed a hand over her chest, unaware that it might give off a few more hints than she already had. Taking in a deep breath, Serenity closed her eyes, held the breath for a moment, and then slowly let it out, relaxing a bit. "I think I'm warm enough now." she said and stood up. She stepped over to the couch and sat down, leaning back against it. "Do you have any plans for today, Alain?" Serenity asked kindly as she slid her shoes off her feet and set them off to the side so neither of them would trip. Wiggling her toes a little, she smiled and looked toward him, "It's been a long time since I've been with someone on a snowy day, so I'm not sure what I should be doing. Have you eaten? I can cook dinner, if you would like?"
    Tsubine
    Tsubine
    The Not-as-Fun Admin

Post by Tsubine Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:42 pm

"You look wonderful." Well, of course he did. Because "I always look wonderful." He was still a tiny bit full of himself, but he was mainly just having fun with Serenity. Alain didn't notice that she was staring at the picture of him, but as soon as she looked away, he placed the paper behind him. She then asked if he had any plans. And the truth is, he didn't. "Well, I didn't really have any plans today. Probably just relax and take a nice, long, relaxing bath... but since you're here, I think we can do something else. Since I don't think the tub could hold the two of us." Alain was joking, of course. The tub could hold the two of them, but they didn't have any sort of relationship that would allow them to be in such a provocative position. Maybe someday, but not today.

Alain still needed some more time to warm up. So he didn't stand up when she did, and instead waited a few more seconds before plopping down in his red chair. Out of everything he owned, only this chair stood out. Most of the house was grey, white, black, or varying shades of blue. Alain's chair, however, was a fiery red. "It's been a long time since I've been with someone on a snowy day, so I'm not sure what I should be doing. Have you eaten? I can cook dinner, if you would like?" Alain shook his head slightly and let up the foot-rest on the chair. He was having some relaxation time right now. "Well, when it's closer to dinner time, I'd be glad to have some of your cooking." Alain wasn't sure if she noticed the time, but it was close to 3 o'clock. It wasn't really time for dinner. "Today was only a half-day of work since we were prepping the staff offices, but I still didn't get a chance to eat lunch." Alain did need something on his stomach, but he could wait a bit more. "So while I do want something to eat, I think it'll be fine to wait until dinner. It just means I can enjoy more of your cooking then." That's something else Alain had missed, her cooking. One can only order out or eat things that don't require preperation so much before he needs a home-cooked meal. So having her around was a two-fold plus. "I may just eat a banana or something." Alain had bought some fruit two or three days ago, so he still had some left. "But, do you have anything you want to do?"

Serenity
    Serenity
    The Much-More-Fun Admin

Post by Serenity Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:11 pm

Well he didn't have to be so conceited about it. She was being very kind and honest about it, and he had to pop a joke! Hmph! Oh well. it only made her smile more. "Well, I didn't really have any plans today. Probably just relax and take a nice, long, relaxing bath... but since you're here, I think we can do something else. Since I don't think the tub could hold the two of us." Serenity raised an eyebrow at him. "Yeah..." she said with a mischievous smirk, "We could fit." She had to keep up with him some how! Any time he threw her an opening, she was going to do her best to throw it right back at him; it was the only way she could keep up with his wit. That's why she purposely made it sound like she'd be okay with sharing a bath. It seemed though, that neither of them had plans. It was only half day at work for him, dinner wasn't for a while, and neither of them seemed to have any idea of what to do. The last time she felt like this was when she was at the village with Solon...

Serenity closed her eyes and decided to lay across the couch since he chose his chair. Laying her head back on the arm, she looked over to him and blinked. "I've seen every part of you..." she said casually, yet so bluntly at the same time, "Yet, I'm not sure how much I know about you... I can't remember a lot of that night, you know, the night we met?" She turned her head upwards and looked toward the ceiling. Taking in a deep breath, she laid her hands across her stomach and lowered closed her eyes. "It's a shame to have had such a fun night and not remember all of it." Serenity said, sounding slightly disappointed, "Though I am very upset with him, I am glad Carl showed up that day. Thanks to him, I don't have to be alone anymore." It's a little silly to have a full blown stalker that attacks and threatens to kill you and all you can say is that you are "very upset" with him. Most people would have been extremely angry, if not worse, but not Serenity. She was almost too nice.

"Alain..." Serenity sat up and smiled toward him, "You wanna go out and play in the snow?" And her child-like playfulness was back. Her momentary lapse of innocence that seemed to show a more womanly or mature side of her was once again gone. She wanted to have fun and neither of them had anything to do. "I bet I can defeat you in a snow ball fight easily. I betcha, I betcha." She was doing her best to make it sound like a challenge, trying to push him into accepting so the two of them could go outside and have a little fun. "As long as you promise not to let six feet of snow bury me again..." she said as if that was his fault, "... we can go outside and have some fun. That is... if you're not one of those boring people that stay inside all day doing nothing..." Serenity gave him the dullest look at that point, wondering whether he would actually accept her obvious taunt and go outside with her.
    Tsubine
    Tsubine
    The Not-as-Fun Admin

Post by Tsubine Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:10 pm

"Yeah... We could fit." Although she thought she was able to get back at him, she just opened the door up further. And that was what he wanted. "We'll have to test your theory sometime then." Alain returned that mischievous smirk, as if taunting her. "I've seen every part of you... Yet, I'm not sure how much I know about you... I can't remember a lot of that night, you know, the night we met? It's a shame to have had such a fun night and not remember all of it. Though I am very upset with him, I am glad Carl showed up that day. Thanks to him, I don't have to be alone anymore." Although that was an odd statement to make, Alain wasn't going to question it. She seemed the type to try to scold that bear that chased after her, so he just felt she was just a little too sweet for her own good at times. "You can't remember it because you're trying to make room for better memories. A lot of stuff happened, so it took up a lot of space." He honestly didn't know what else to say about that. The fact is, Alain was a little stuck on it, but Serenity broke the silence again. "Alain... You wanna go out and play in the snow?"

Considering how deeply she was just buried in the snow, it may not be such a good id—"I bet I can defeat you in a snow ball fight easily. I betcha, I betcha." Alain took a big gulp of his hot cocoa. Why? Because it was on. "As long as you promise not to let six feet of snow bury me again... we can go outside and have some fun. That is... if you're not one of those boring people that stay inside all day doing nothing..." He finished the entire mug by the time she was done. "Are you kidding? Don't you know what those five trophies and placards are? It was for Rydian's annual staff snowball tournament. All the staff gets together once a year and Rydian's courtyards are turned into a warzone. It's amazing, honestly. It's going to be on the re-opening for next semester, you should come and cheer me on." The fact is, none of them were for that, although the annual tournament was a real thing. They were all professor of the year awards, but Alain kept them higher than most people can read so he can claim they're something else each time. And this might just work to his advantage. "But if you still think you can defeat me..." Alain jumped up and grabbed her arm.

The man in blue smiled back at her, and dragged her back outside, stopping only for her to put her shoes and jacket on. "We'll just have to see if you can beat the champion." Alain let out a hearty, fake, and ego-filled laugh with that. He was ready for this fight, but would she be?

Serenity
    Serenity
    The Much-More-Fun Admin

Post by Serenity Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:58 am

The responses! She could think of so many at this point, but she felt the rest would backfire, like they usually did, so she chose one that she thought might help her win just one of these wit battles. "Well, this is your home and you've allowed me to live here, so..." Serenity pushed up a sweet smile, "If taking a bath with me is what you want, I'll oblige." It's possible for that to backfire just as much. What if he said okay? What if he asked for that at this minute?! She wouldn't be able to counter that! This was a mistake! Why did she always make the mistakes in the wit battles?! It wasn't fair, she never gets to win! "But if you do that, I'm wearing a swim suit!" she quickly added before any terms may have been set, though Alain never seemed like the type of man to ask her to that. If she ever felt like he was the type of man to ask her to do something like that, she would come to the conclusion that she is currently living in the wrong house and would likely move out within the next day or so.

And then came the challenge. "Are you kidding? Don't you know what those five trophies and placards are? It was for Rydian's annual staff snowball tournament. All the staff gets together once a year and Rydian's courtyards are turned into a warzone. It's amazing, honestly. It's going to be on the re-opening for next semester, you should come and cheer me on." Well, shit. Did he seriously have to actually get super competitive in this aspect? She wanted him to want to beat her, but it wasn't fair that he actually competed in that way before! Oh well, she had issued the challenge, she was going to keep it up. There was no point in backing down now! "Fine then." she stood up and pointed down at him, "If you win, you get something. If I win, you have to..." She stopped for a moment to think and looked around the house, but there was nothing she could make him do; she liked doing the chores. "I know!" she said with a big smile when she thought of it, placing her hands behind her back, "You'll have to tell me your deepest darkest secret."

"But if you still think you can defeat me..." he said, coming to grab her arm. She didn't even flinch; she was that confident in her abilities in snow ball fights! He dragged her outside after allowing her to put on her shoes and a warm jacket. What had she gotten herself into? "We'll just have to see if you can beat the champion." he said and she smirked. "I'm gonna beat you! Now for the rules! There is only one rule, no powers. None! Beyond that... anything goes!" she said happily and then darted out into the snow, hurrying around to the front where that large pile of snow had buried her once before. She immediately dove behind a pile of snow, peeking around to see where he would be coming from as she gathered snow within the palm of her hand and waited for the right moment to strike.
    Tsubine
    Tsubine
    The Not-as-Fun Admin

Post by Tsubine Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:55 am

"And if I win... you have to answer a single question sometime in the future. I promise it won't be anything too embarrassing or anything outrageous." Of course, Alain could let her win. He could let her have the satisfaction of beating him. But could and will are two very, very different things. It's tantamount to comparing a bicycle and a fish. So the reality is that Alain was not going to let her win. If she wanted to know his deepest, darkest secret, she was going to have to fight for it. And Alain was going to fight just as hard to keep that away from her. She had no need to know. No, she was just a housemate. She didn't have any true right to know either. And thus, Alain wouldn't tell her unless she somehow won.

"I'm gonna beat you! Now for the rules! There is only one rule, no powers. None! Beyond that... anything goes!" A single rule is all he needed. Because Serenity had forgotten one thing as she took off. Alain didn't follow her. He knew better. The guy had the perfect position in mind, and there was no real way for her to get there. He positioned himself in a good spot, capable of seeing so much. He crawled to where he could scan. Being where he was was an advantage. It's something he knew good and well. However, it took him a while to see where she was, but green stands out. Well, as does blue, but he was looking for that bright green hair of hers. He could see her, but she wouldn't be able to see him without looking in that specific direction. He pushed up his glasses as he finally made a snowball in his hands. He followed this by making two more and setting them beside him. Alain looked at the trees and checked the wind. He was making sure everything would line up.

Calculations, complete. Target, sighted. Readying adjustments. Alain's arm moved slowly as he was trying to get the right angle. And he got it. At the distance he was at, it was likely it might miss... but Alain had surprise on his side. And his surprise... was now ready. He lobbed the snowball. It was right on target as it impacted. However, the target was not Serenity. No, it was a tree nearby. Alain had hit the tree's lowest branch... to make a little snow fall at her. It wasn't meant to hit her. It was meant to get her to move. And as soon as she did, Alain knew it was time. He stood up, grabbing the other two snowballs. And thus, Alain ran down his roof. Yes, Alain had used the height of his two-story house to his advantage by climbing onto the roof. He would be able to see so much from that angle. She was much smaller than he was, so it's quite obvious she would try to hide, but hiding only works when you know how your opponent is going to come at you. And Serenity most likely didn't know he was going to be on the roof of all places.

But wait, isn't the roof covered in snow? Yes, it is, but that's not as bad as one might think. The roof has two "angles." The angle from the front door was much more sharp than the side-door angle. This gave the house an interesting shape, but it was mainly an aesthetic choice only. Practicality-wise, the design should be reversed with the softer slope over the front door. However, this worked for Alain. He would've been able to get on the roof without her hearing him. And now, he was running, or rather his legs were moving so he wouldn't be entirely skiing down the house. He was trying to adjust his course when he threw the two snowballs at Serenity, mainly as a way to keep her moving. As he neared the end of the roof, Alain lept. It was like watching a majestic deer jump a fence... and land face-first into the snow pile that had buried Serenity earlier. He stood up, adjusting his glasses to see if he had hit her...

Serenity
    Serenity
    The Much-More-Fun Admin

Post by Serenity Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:56 pm

Serenity wasn't exactly expecting him to get on the roof. She wasn't a get the advantage on the other person type player. She wanted fun, not actual competition, so when she was forced to dodge the snow falling from the tree, she did not run. Instead, she jumped onto the other side of the tree and waited. She looked up to make sure there wasn't a snow covered branch above her and was pleased to see there wasn't. She slowly peeked onto the other side of the tree to see where Alain was and spotted him, but only right as a snow ball threatened to hit her face. She quickly moved back behind the tree, looked around, and then darted away toward the other side of the house. If he was going to use the house as a weapon, then so would she. As she ran though, she noticed him flying through the air. She stopped in her tracks, turned toward him, and watched in shock as he ever so gracefully jumped from the roof. She watched him, mouth agape, and then closed it while trying not to laugh when he fell into a snow pile.

"Hehe." she snickered, covering her mouth. Picking up a ball of snow, she threw it at him as he raised his head to look at her. It was sorta supposed to be a "that's what you get" moment. He wanted to be all smart and tactical and fancy and now look at him. He was face first in a pile of snow and she was still all clean; talk about irony. Frankly, Serenity thought it was adorable, though that's not something she'd ever say to him. He was too much of a man to call adorable, but still. She picked up another ball of snow and tossed it at him before hurrying around the side of the house, only to stop and peek around to see what he was doing again. If he climbed to the roof, she'd stuff snow down his pants.
    Tsubine
    Tsubine
    The Not-as-Fun Admin

Post by Tsubine Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:03 am

Alain didn't know if he had hit her or not. He knew his initial tactic to get her to move worked, so that was good at least. But now came the part where shots were being fired—the true test of merit. Alain didn't see this as just competition or just fun. Alain saw this as some weird Frankenstein-esque fusion of the two. Maybe in a casual encounter going so far as to perch himself on the roof like a sniper was too far. However, Alain was being a bit oblivious at the moment. He didn't think to either lie to her or not to tell her his deepest secret. Those thoughts just were nowhere to be found. That's why Alain was on the verge of crossing boundaries, if he hadn't crossed them already.

So, in Alain's mind, what he was doing was simply protecting her from that truth. But to protect her, he'd need to, surprisingly, hit her first. And apparently, that's exactly what he didn't do. This was proven by a snowball smacking him in his face. Thankfully it wasn't one so compressed it was beginning to freeze into an ice ball. It was actually really, really soft. But even a pillow hitting you catches you off guard. And once again, his glasses were slightly askew. Now, however, his face was covered in snow. Well, except for his eyes. Like perfect cutouts of where his glasses were, Alain's surprised eyes were clearly seen. It was like he was wearing a snow mask.

Alain brushed the snow off of his face and grinned as he looked at his target. Even though he went through so much trouble to avoid getting hit first, it still happened. Before he could get another ball of snow ready, she was gone. It was like cat and mouse. Well, cat and mouse with some really weird colors on both, that is. Alain still made another snowball... and another. He was ready. His trick for the roof wasn't gonna work again. He just had to rely on one thing now.

Whatever that thing is, Alain charging around the house at full speed, zig-zagging, and screaming an elongate "hya" sound was certainly not it. It may not have been it, but it may have caused whatever the hell he was doing now. If you can't trap your enemy, you just rush them before they realize what's going on. That was his philosophy, and that was exactly what he was doing. Like something out of a movie starring a man whose name is an anagram for "even eurekas," Alain threw the first snowball towards Serenity. Making a few more steps, he threw the other. Even without another snowball in reserve, he still charged towards her.

Serenity
    Serenity
    The Much-More-Fun Admin

Post by Serenity Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:58 am

Serenity wasn't the best at making snowballs. It wasn't something she did too often. So, when it softly hit his face and sorta fell apart, it was expected. It's not like she wanted to hurt him anyway. This was for fun! Though, when it did hit him, she couldn't help but giggle like a child before hurrying around the corner. She kept her snowball ready in her mitten covered hand and waited for him to come around the corner. She waited for some sort of strategic display, but was surprised to see him just charging at her. She blinked a few times in shock and dodged to the side when he threw the first one. Seeing as he kept running and throwing a couple more, Serenity found herself holding her head and running in circles, screaming like a dork as she was being 'attacked'. "Ahhh!!" she stopped when she felt no more snowballs flying passed or hitting her and looked toward him. He didn't have anymore snowballs in his hand, but she was too caught off guard to think correctly and throw her own. She began running away from him, but her small stature created a problem. She was having a hard time moving through the snow easily.

She had to think quickly or this was over! "Ahhh!!" she yelled her battle cry, knowing he was catching up, and suddenly turned towards him. This was where her height was going to be an advantage to her! She didn't attack, well, kinda. She did attack, but it was by whipping her arms around his waist and clinging to him. "Gotcha!" she said as if she had claimed victory and looked up to him with one eye closed and her tongue sticking out of her mouth, all as if it was hard to cling to him. Well, it might of been. If he wasn't expecting the sudden turn-and-hug attack, he could have ran right into her and knocked them both over. All Serenity knew was that she was not letting go of him any time soon. "Victory will be mine!" she'd say as she looked around, planning to pull snow in on him.
    Tsubine
    Tsubine
    The Not-as-Fun Admin

Post by Tsubine Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:14 am

Alain couldn't do anything to pry Serenity's grip away from his waist. He tried shaking, vibrating, even running, but nothing was changing. Even though he was laughing, he was still trying his best to win this competition. He was about to just dive into the snow when... "Don't the trees look beautiful with all of this snow?" Alain's entire body froze. He could not see the source of the voice, but he sure did hear it. His palms began to sweat, a slight nervousness radiating from his entire being. "I suppose. I prefer them with leaves." Alain should have seen the second voice coming. They always come in a pair. Like salt and pepper, the two were inseparable. Judging by the distance... thirty seconds until they were visible. "Serenity, we need to stop playing right now." Alain used his hands to pry her grip apart if she didn't let go. Playtime was now over.

Alain could see their faces now. He was right. It was them. Both were wearing heavy winter coats and carrying large backpacks. The woman was between Alain and Serenity in height, while the man was probably taller than Alain. The woman's face was gentle, yet stern. It was the look of an elementary school teacher or an intellectual without looking the slightest bit condescending. Her half-rimmed glasses were slightly under her eyes, showing they were only for reading and not for normal corrections. "Well, look who has a friend." Her face did not twist into a smile, a scowl, or anything of the sort. It was like watching two poker masters face off. "You two sure like arriving unannounced." Alain, on the other hand, did smile slightly. It was that of confidence, not of anything else.

The man, who was obviously taller than Alain by about half a foot, stepped forward and spoke up. "You know it's our policy not to announce ourselves." He threw the cigarette he was smoking into the snow, but stepped on it out of habit. It wasn't like the snow was going to catch fire. "Catching you off-guard has always been our specialty." His face was stern, but not gentle. It was the face of a soldier—even more evidenced by the large scar on his right cheek. "You still should have called or sent a letter. You haven't been here in so long, I was afraid you'd get lost on your next visit." Even in such a tense situation, Alain couldn't help but to joke slightly.

The woman sighed and spoke to Alain in a scolding tone. "Now don't be so harsh on us. You're making a bad example for your little friend there." That's right. There was a fourth member here today. Someone who hadn't met the two visitors. "Right, I should probably introduce you." Alain stepped to the side, allowing Serenity to take a good look at them. "Serenity..." With his right hand, he motioned toward them, pointing them out specifically—not like there was anyone else there. "These are my parents—Magnus and Helena Maldoc-Ryence."

Serenity
    Serenity
    The Much-More-Fun Admin

Post by Serenity Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:02 am

He tried shaking her grip and she held tighter. He tried vibrating and she just laughed, it almost tickled. He even tried running and just ended up dragging her petite form through the snow. They were both laughing. This was so much fun. She did not expect him to be such a difficult opponent! And then everything changed with the sound of an approaching voice, one that Alain seemed to recognize. He froze and Serenity looked worriedly up to him. "Serenity, we need to stop playing right now." he said, using his hands to pry her off. "Huh?" Serenity replied in confusion, her tone almost heartbroken. She was having so much fun, so why must they stop? She could tell by how strong his own grip was and his tone of voice that he was serious. The game was over. Part of her wanted to joke a little and say he forfeit the game, but something told her not to. She stood up fully as she was removed from his waist and began dusting herself off. She didn't notice the man and woman coming around the corner, though she probably should have been paying a little more attention since Alain had obviously switched up.

"Well, look who has a friend." Serenity froze this time. Is this what Alain seemed to be so worried about? They didn't seem to be bad people. Serenity half stood behind Alain, sort of peeking out from the side to watch him converse with the woman taller than she and the man taller than he. It didn't take long for Serenity to realize exactly who these two people were. The woman looked like someone Serenity would like to have a nice conversation with, while the man looked like someone who would find her "cute" and pat her on the top of her head like a child. At least that is what she got the feeling of when she looked at the two of them. "Catching you off-guard has always been our specialty."

So they did this often huh? Alain's parents sure were funny. They probably always caught him off guard just to pick on their son. This brought up a question for Serenity, was Alain a Momma's boy or a chip off the old block? She would have to find this out. The game was officially over in her mind when she realized that they were being introduced. Alain stepped to the side and motioned toward the two, so Serenity cheerfully stepped forward and held out her hand. "Hello to you both. I'm Serenity Verdant." she said as politely as she possibly could, "Would you guys like to come inside and rest? I'll take your coats, if you like. Alain can get the fire blazing again and put on some tea. Of course, only if you'd like."
    Tsubine
    Tsubine
    The Not-as-Fun Admin

Post by Tsubine Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:36 pm

Magnus was not as charming as his wife. No matter what nice things Serenity was thinking about him now, they would most likely go away as soon as his eyes shifted their gaze to her. Looking at him was like looking at a well-painted and well-chiseled statue of a gladiator. There was a sense of intimidation and pride emanating from just his facial structure. If it weren't for the fact that Alain actually looked a little like his father, the fact they were father and son would probably be lost.
    Magnus stepped forward, extending a hand to the young lady for a handshake. As she grabbed his hand, his trap set off. Like a bear trap, his hand sprung around hers. Magnus's grip was that of a man who could probably snap a neck if he so pleased. Whether he was forgetting his strength, being overprotective of his only child, or was just trying to make an impression on this young woman... only he knew, and it was almost impossible to read this stone-faced man. Thankfully, it wasn't enough to actually hurt her, but enough to show off a bit of strength.

On the contrary, his actual shake was gentle and slow. He did not say anything, as he had already been introduced. Not being rude, but moreso wondering what she was doing here. Helena on the other hand actually wrapped her arms around Serenity. It seemed she had the wrong idea of things, but what her ideas were, only she (and Magnus, since he was thinking the exact same thing) knew. "Yes, I think it would be good to get out of this cold and get to know one another better." Helena began to walk around to the other side of the house, with Magnus following slowly behind, turning to Serenity to say his first words to her. "Thank you for the offer, but I will take my own and my wife's coat. It is my house, and I don't want to feel like a guest in it."

Alain put his hand on Serenity's shoulder and motioned with his head for them to follow. Eventually, all four were in the house, the fire still going—albeit barely. Alain took off his coat, and would help Serenity's out of hers. Magnus did the same with his own coat and Helena's. Alain motioned towards the stairs, pointing them in the direction of the upstairs bedroom. "I can let you have the master bedroom for your stay if you'd like." Alain was happy to have his parents home, even if he hadn't said it yet.

Helena shook her head and smiled lightly. Alain knew the smile, and it was the smile of a mother—a scheming mother. "No, no, I wouldn't want to take the bed I'll be getting grandchildren from both of you in." Alain stopped moving and turned around, his eyes wide enough to be seen from either of Aurora's two moons. He brought up his hands, to his chest level, telling her to slow the fuck dooooooown. "H-hey now, it's not like that." This is why Alain wanted them to send a letter or something. He could then better introduce Serenity—as a friend. And that's just what she was. An attractive friend who just so happened to live with him. Nothing wrong or suspicious about that, right? "She's just a friend who needed a place to stay." Helena's right eyebrow shot up, her entire face practically screaming "Mmmhmm, keep telling yourself that. Momma knows best."

Serenity
    Serenity
    The Much-More-Fun Admin

Post by Serenity Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:27 pm

Serenity was trying her best to be a good host. She was acting polite, sweet, and welcoming. Her mind didn't even move to the fact that she shouldn't treat them as guests. The moment Magnus took her hand, his grip showed her one thing: he didn't want her here. She had never had a man squeeze her hand so tightly. If she had less control, she would have winced at the feeling. She was thankful when the handshake ended. No matter how gentle the shake was, the grip was what haunted her thoughts. Of course, receiving a hug from Alain's mother made it much better. She gratefully returned the short embrace and nodded as cheerfully as she could in agreement to heading inside for tea. "Thank you for the offer, but I will take my own and my wife's coat. It is my house, and I don't want to feel like a guest in it." Serenity was taken aback by this. "But... I wasn't..." she mumbled a bit as the two walked off. She lowered her head a bit, feeling like she should barricade herself in a room or just stay outside once tea is served. A few seconds in and she had already offended Alain's father...

Her attention was caught when Alain set his hand on her shoulder. She turned back to him and pushed up an obviously forced smile before walking around and back into the house. She smiled weakly toward Alain as he took her coat, "Thank you." Her eyes caught a glimmer of white in his hair and was tempted to brush it out, but with the presence of his parents, she chose otherwise. "You have snow in your hair still..." she pointed in it's direction. She stood there silently as Alain offered the master bedroom to his parents, which she completely agreed with. "I'll put on the tea now and return shortly. Please excuse me." she said quickly, bowing to them with the demeanor of a maid and tried making her way out of the room as quickly as possible. As she rounded the corner though, she heard the words Alain's mother spoke and almost tripped over her own feet. Luckily, she was able to catch herself and just glanced back toward the room, but was around the corner, so she wasn't seen by any of them. "H-hey now, it's not like that." Alain replied. Serenity could tell how awkward he felt by the tone in his voice.

Serenity sighed at it. She wasn't sure how she was supposed to be reacting to all of this. His mother seemed so nice, but his father actually bothered her a bit. "She's just a friend who needed a place to stay." Serenity closed her eyes, feeling slightly disappointed for reasons she didn't understand, and continued off. She was not disappointed by the denial of grandchildren at all; it was the 'just a friend' line that stung just enough to make her question her own feelings toward Alain. Serenity set up the tea and looked through the cabinets for something she could cook. On a night like this, with it being so cold, something like stew would be delicious, but what if they don't like stew? Should she ask them? She stayed lost in thought about what she could cook until either interrupted by someone else or by the tea finishing. Once finished, she set four cups, the kettle, and different ingredients (i.e sugar, lemon, and honey) on a tray and began her way back out to the kitchen. "The tea is ready. It's hot, so if you'd like it cooled, I can get some ice for you." she said with another forced smile as she walked over toward the others.

Serenity set the tray down on the table, making sure it was closer to his parents than to herself. Sitting on her knees, she poured the tea quietly, letting them talk. Once the tea was poured and she had a chance to speak, she'd politely bring attention back to her. "Excuse me..." she said with a light smile, "Once dinner is to be made, I was wondering if you guys would enjoy a stew. If so, I should probably get started on it soon to make sure it's cooked well... If there is anything else you'd like, I'd certainly try to oblige." Serenity was acting very different for one reason. She didn't want to be kicked out of this house. She was going to be kind and respect them no matter what, but she already felt unwelcome and they had only been here five minutes. If they didn't like her that fast, she had no idea how they'd react to her being a clumsy fool. She was especially focused, moving with grace, but (to anyone who knew her) noticeabley more concentrated and focused then normal. She didn't want to mess up.
    Tsubine
    Tsubine
    The Not-as-Fun Admin

Post by Tsubine Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:11 pm

Magnus eyed the girl slightly as she respectfully bowed away. Despite his non-changing expression, she was making a good impression on him. Alain took the chair whose side was to the fire, and Magnus took the chair whose view was directly on the fire. That was the head-of-household's chair, and right now, that was Magnus. Helena smiled to Serenity and took a seat in the middle of the couch. After Serenity was out of view, Alain leaned forward to whisper to his parents. Serenity could not understand them from the distance, but if she looked back, she would probably see both Helena and Magnus nodding, and Alain replying to them with a heavy look relief.

Alain and his parents had a little bit of catching up to do, so they did not call Serenity over. Alain asked how they were, and they returned the same question. They asked things like how long she had been staying there, how they met (and Alain said it was a long story that he'd tell later), and other things of that sort. Serenity returned, and the conversation stopped. Serenity brought tea, and spoke about ice. Magnus was the first to speak up, unfortunately. "Again, the offer is appreciated, but I do not need ice." He was also the first to reach forward and poured tea into all four glasses. Alain and Magnus took it normal, while Helena took some honey to stir into it.

Magnus also took the first sip. "This tea..." He looked at the cup and then over to Serenity—his piercing gaze ready to strike. "...is quite good." Thankfully, it was a good type of strike. Helena and Alain took sips as well, with only Helena speaking up. "Yes it is. Where did you learn to brew such good tea?" She smiled to the young woman, her wrinkles making it seem like a bigger smile than it actually was.

"Excuse me... Once dinner is to be made, I was wondering if you guys would enjoy a stew. If so, I should probably get started on it soon to make sure it's cooked well... If there is anything else you'd like, I'd certainly try to oblige." Stew. Yes. That was good. And that was the consensus between all three of the Maldoc-Ryences, who just eyed one another, and nodded in unison. Magnus spoke up, not knowing he was scaring the little one. "Stew... yes, that sounds like it would be good on a cold day like today." Helena set her tea down. and stood up, walking beside Serenity and led her into the kitchen. "Let me help you. Both of them can eat, so it might be good to have a second set of hands."

Serenity
    Serenity
    The Much-More-Fun Admin

Post by Serenity Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:52 pm

"Again, the offer is appreciated, but I do not need ice."

At this point, Serenity was quite thankful that Alain seemed so much different from his Father. Magnus was so stern that almost every time he spoke up, Serenity felt as if she was going to flinch, startled by his tone. She was able to fight it enough that it wasn't noticeable, but it still happened. Before Serenity could start pouring the tea, Magnus reached forward and grabbed the kettle from the tray and did it for her. "Mm..." a small quiet whimper left Serenity as she watched the tea being poured. Once everyone had their cups, she took up her own and sat there on the floor, still sitting on her knees, and took a quiet sip. She kept her head lowered, not wanting to meet Magnus' eyes again.

"This tea..." Serenity flinched again, waiting for them to be upset at what she had made, "...is quite good." Serenity's eyes lit up. She looked toward Magnus with a happy smile and then took another sip of her tea. "Yes it is. Where did you learn to brew such good tea?" Helena spoke up and Serenity felt her heart warm. She did something right! They liked it. "O-Oh... Well, I have to be very careful with the things I eat and drink, you see..." she began, speaking quite shyly, "...so I mix my own. It's a few herbs that I had to be very picky with. I grew them myself in a garden I had before I came here."

Serenity brought up the idea of dinner and stew seemed to be something everyone was interested in. As Serenity went to stand, so did Helena. "Let me help you. Both of them can eat, so it might be good to have a second set of hands." Helena said, causing Serenity to blink a few times. She didn't remember if she ever had anyone, excluding her mother years ago, ever help her cook. Part of her wanted to say no, but something told her that'd be a bad idea; that something was sitting in the head-of-household chair. "O-Oh, Alright. Are you sure you wouldn't like to keep resting and catch up with Alain?" she asked as they walked off.

Serenity was a little nervous about being alone in the kitchen with Alain's mother. What if she said something stupid or offensive? Helena didn't seem anywhere near as offended at Serenity's presence as Magnus, but that didn't make the worry any less. "I usually make a double batch to have enough left over for a couple of days, so I think they'll still be enough with that recipe." Serenity picked up a large sack of potatoes. It was pretty heavy, so while doing this, she unknowingly stuck out her tongue while straining to walk it over to the counter. She set them down next to the sink and placed a potato peeler next to it. "Is there anything in specfic you would like to help with?"
    Tsubine
    Tsubine
    The Not-as-Fun Admin

Post by Tsubine Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:35 pm

While Alain and Magnus were in the living room, chatting it up about random things, Helena was going to have some quality alone time with Serenity—the woman she thinks will be bearing grandchildren for her. Helena would've offered to help Serenity with those potatoes, but she didn't catch them in time. Instead, she grabbed any other ingredients they'd need. "I usually make a double batch to have enough left over for a couple of days, so I think there'll still be enough with that recipe." Helena smiled at Serenity and shook her head. "Might as well make a triple batch then. Magnus is a former soldier—he could either eat like a horse or eat a horse. ...Or both, honestly." Helena let out a small chuckle as well.

"Is there anything in specific you would like to help with?" "I think I'll just help with the slicing and dicing." From practically nowhere (it was actually just lying on the counter, she was just quick), Helena pulled out an ivory-handled knife which was thirty-nine years old and twirled it in her fingers like some people do with pens. She was a housewife extraordinaire and then some. After most of everything was peeled and cut into cubes, Helena looked over to Serenity. Helena could tell that Serenity was worried about something—that she was trying really hard. And there was only one thing that came to her mind—and that was the first time she was cooking for Magnus. He hadn't really changed in all the years they'd known one another... and even then, he was very picky to the point where Helena has wanted to smack him with a spatula many times.

Speaking based on her woman's intuition, Helena tilted her head over to Serenity slightly. "If you're worried about Magnus..." Helena passed the next pile of ingredients over to the real chef for tonight, taking note of the odd choices. "If he'll drink your tea, he'll eat your food." Helena sighed a little. "We've been married thirty-nine years, and it was only five years after we married that I was able to get a 'I like your tea' from him. The first thing he said to me after I cooked a meal for him was 'Your food is good, but your tea needs to be better.' I almost gave up on him right then and there." Helena continued to pass along ingredients as she reminisced.

"But in the end I didn't." She turned back to the vegetables, smiling softly. "Even if he is a stubborn and picky old man, he's still very gentle. And he's also the man I fell in love with." Helena passed the last pile of ingredients over to Serenity who was hard at work. That just made her smile even more as she placed a hand on the cook's shoulder. "Even if my son doesn't know it yet, you'll be a great wife someday." Now it was a mother's intuition kicking in. Or maybe it was the meddling of a mischievous deity. Either way, Helena was liking this girl. She mumbled something to herself, but it might have just been enough for Serenity to hear her say "And hopefully someday will be quite soon."

Serenity
    Serenity
    The Much-More-Fun Admin

Post by Serenity Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:10 am

Serenity was quiet most of the time, often giving quick smiles and allowing a chuckle here and there, but mostly she was just quiet. She was cooking, so those who understood her love of cooking wouldn't expect her to talk anyways. She just did her best not to seem rude when pinching in the spices and ingredients. One thing she did make sure she would complete was the meet. She removed as much of the fat from the meet as she could. She didn't like the feeling of meat and then suddenly biting into a slippery bunch of squish. She often compared the feeling to slime, so she made sure her meat rarely to never had fat on it. Many people did like having it there, but never really missed it when it wasn't. For a while, the two of them had small conversation, nothing in particular and usually just a 'can you pass me the' requests and comments on the other's knife technique, but Serenity's demeanor caught Helena's eye.

"If you're worried about Magnus..." Serenity froze when his name was mentioned, but then continued slicing into the final piece of meet before tossing it into a large pot on the stove. "If he'll drink your tea, he'll eat your food." Serenity didn't know what to say. She loved it when people enjoyed her food, but would prefer it if he actually wanted her around. He seemed not to, so Serenity felt bad for being here. Even though it had been said before, she sort of forgot that this wasn't just Alain's house, it was his parents. Serenity became very interested in listening to Helena's story. She kept glancing over to her to make sure that Helena knew she was listening. Thirty nine years married is a long time. "That's beautiful..." Serenity said with a small smile.

"I'm glad you didn't give up on him. I kind of like having Alain around." Serenity decided to make her own little joke, even showing a cheerful smile as she said it. "Even if my son doesn't know it yet, you'll be a great wife someday." Helena said as Serenity put the lid over the top of the pot. It would need to boil for at least an hour, which should be the perfect time for dinner. "I... don't think Alain thinks of me that way." Serenity said, her head slightly lowered as if she was disappointed, "And even if he did, I'm not sure I'd know what to do. He's very kind, a true gentleman, generous, and he's sort of a hero to me... If it weren't for him, I'd not be here today. I've just... never had anyone care for me in that way." Setting the knives and other things they used to prepare the stew in the kitchen sink, she turned back toward Helena and leaned back against the counter, her hands back on it.

"How do you know when you care enough about someone to get to that step?" Serenity asked quite innocently, her gaze to the kitchen floor, "I know I feel something toward Alain, but I can't tell whether it's just appreciation, admiration, gratitude, friendship... Maybe it's all of them?" Serenity took in a deep breath and let it out in a relaxed sigh. "Either way, I feel your son deserves someone a lot better than me. The only thing I've got going for me is cooking... I'm not smart. I'm clumsy. I can't fight or anything... I don't have any tale-..." Serenity suddenly smacked her hands to her cheeks and shook her head rapidly. "Oh my goodness, I am so sorry! I got carried away. I shouldn't be talking about this. W-Would you like to go back in to the livingroom with the men? It's going to take a while for the food to be done cooking through." Serenity practically tried to rush out of the kitchen, her face as red as a tomato when thinking about everything she just spouted. How could she have said all of that so casually!?
    Tsubine
    Tsubine
    The Not-as-Fun Admin

Post by Tsubine Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:34 am

"Something to keep in mind about Alain, he doesn't want to hurt people." Helena was enjoying this talk about her son and this woman's relationship. It was just showing they raised Alain right, which is a proud feeling that can't be shaken off. "He doesn't want to hurt people so much that he tries to distance himself from others while still being friendly." Helena sighed a little as she began placing things into the sink.

"I don't know how long you've been here, but you've probably not heard of him going out with friends or even having friends over, have you?" Helena smiled and placed her hand on Serenity's shoulder. "Give him some time, he'll come around to his senses."Letting go of her shoulder, Helena turned back to the dishes. "If he doesn't," Helena picked up a wooden ladle, "I'll just smack it into him." It would be impossible to tell if she was serious or not.

Helena listened to Serenity's whole little rant about not feeling good enough for Alain. Honestly, she was about to be the one who was going to be hit by the ladle. The fact she had stayed by Alain's side and was cooking for her (most likely) future in-laws was a good sign in her books. "I think I'll stay in here, help clean up some more. As well as talk to you some." Helena let out a mother's smile—warming and worry-removing incarnate. "You're a lovely young lady. Just stick to your heart, and you'll get his."

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:33 pm