Auroran Era

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Staff

Top posting users this month

No user

Latest topics

» He Knows Not Where He Be [Open]
Innocence Saved [CLOSED] EmptyFri Nov 25, 2016 4:11 am by Dai

» Returning Home [Closed]
Innocence Saved [CLOSED] EmptySun Nov 20, 2016 8:32 pm by Tsubine

» Serenity's Face Claims
Innocence Saved [CLOSED] EmptyTue Nov 15, 2016 2:29 pm by Serenity

» Escape from Ezon [CLOSED]
Innocence Saved [CLOSED] EmptyThu Nov 10, 2016 3:25 am by Serenity

» Running on Idle [Closed]
Innocence Saved [CLOSED] EmptySun Nov 06, 2016 8:06 am by Schnockles

» The Deflowering [Closed]
Innocence Saved [CLOSED] EmptyWed Oct 19, 2016 5:34 pm by Schnockles

» Serenity's Character List
Innocence Saved [CLOSED] EmptyMon Oct 17, 2016 10:36 am by Serenity

» Amelia Bennett [APPROVED, 3-5]
Innocence Saved [CLOSED] EmptyMon Oct 17, 2016 9:44 am by Tsubine

» Kenta [Approved; 1-2]
Innocence Saved [CLOSED] EmptyMon Oct 17, 2016 8:27 am by Serenity

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 4514 messages in 615 subjects

We have 20 registered users

The newest registered user is Illthion

2 posters

Innocence Saved [CLOSED]

Serenity
    Serenity
    The Much-More-Fun Admin

Innocence Saved [CLOSED] Empty Innocence Saved [CLOSED]

Post by Serenity Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:55 am

Innocence Saved [CLOSED] Header_zpstthoupxa

There was a fairy tail going on in Maria's head. Books taught her much and she was rather well read. Fairy tails happened so quickly; one moment you're sad and lonely, and then suddenly you fall in love with your prince charming, are married, and will live happily ever after. The moments in between are so vague, so rushed that it's hard to tell how long something took. Maria did not understand that love did not come over night. It wasn't something that happened at first sight. Love was a process of bonding through words and experience. It was getting to know each other, trust, and honesty. And for Maria, out of all things love never would be, at the top of that list was a man named Frankie.

Maria didn't understand the mistake she was making, but she did understand that she was going against Neil's wishes. Besides work and duties she was called to do, Maria avoided Neil. She was spending a lot of time with Frankie. The next time he asked her out, after Maria and Neil's last meeting, Maria said yes. She was going to be Frankie's girl now. It wasn't that bad, but it was weird. Frankie tried to sleep in her bed and she didn't want to share it with him. He tried to shower with her, but she felt the shower was too small. He tried to kiss her lips, but she wasn't ready for her first kiss to be gone yet. However, she highly enjoyed the hugs, being called cute, and the forehead kisses.

Two weeks with this new routine, Maria has decided it is time to do what happens in her books. She needs something nice to wear. After a strange morning shopping trip and explaining her intentions to a woman who thought she was too young, Maria came home with a strange outfit that reminded her of the sex slave girls in the Vonnera. The woman at the store said it was what she should wear, so she was gonna wear it, but it was weird. Until it was time, she sat the bag in her room and went on with her chores like normal. She saw Frankie a few times throughout the day and didn't talk much to Neil. During dinner, she ate very little and quicker than normal, excused herself, and hurried off.

Maria showered, brushed her hair, and followed what the lady in one of her favorite books did step by step. She put on the clothing and stared at herself in the mirror. "Men are strange. What is good about this clothing?" she asked herself as she turned left and right, examining her new outfit. At this point, Maria felt that Frankie should be here any minute. Unfortunately for Maria, the houses main maid figured out what was going on. The woman noticed the change in Maria's behavior and saw the lingerie when cleaning Maria's room this evening. When she got the chance and noticed Neil was alone, the maid approached him and explained what has been going on and her current plans with Frankie.

Tsubine
    Tsubine
    The Not-as-Fun Admin

Humor : "Then just like before: the only way to steal is to steal from the mafia!"

Innocence Saved [CLOSED] Empty Re: Innocence Saved [CLOSED]

Post by Tsubine Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:27 am

Innocence Saved [CLOSED] Header6
    Neil wasn't one to be possessive. Not usually anyways. He was one to like people, but never to get attached. Too messy. Which is why Maria's absence was bothering him. Well, it was more like the bothering itself was bothering him. He was curious as to why he was being bothered by it. Of course, it was mostly paranoia and suspicion from his work. Maria wouldn't knowingly betray Neil. But the poor girl was naïve enough to do it accidentally. Neil sighed as he sipped a cup of hot tea and rang for the maid.

Neil asked for the tea to be taken away and for a bath to be drawn. It was getting late, and he wasn't expecting any more business. Then the maid spoke up. What she told Neil made his eye widen, then narrow. And just like that, he was back to normal—sans lazy smile. "Do not speak of this to anyone else. And... tell the guards not to let anyone in or out except for me. And I mean anyone." Neil stood and walked to Maria's door. He knocked softly, but loud enough that she would hear. "Maria. Come out. We need to have a bit of a... chat."

Serenity
    Serenity
    The Much-More-Fun Admin

Post by Serenity Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:35 am

Maria was doing strange poses. She stuck her butt in the air and toward the mirror. She pushed out her non-existant bust to make herself look bustier. She laid on the bed and put her arm over her side like the woman on the cover of her book. She didn't feel right! She was smaller and her boobs weren't big enough. When the knock came to the door, Maria freaked. Thud. Bang. Boom. Thud. "Coming." Groan. Thud. "Ow." And the door handle moved. Maria opened the door and looked up to Neil curiously. "Hello. Is everything okay?" she asked with her head tilted. Maria was wrapped in her blanket with only her face showing. The worst thing was... she thought this was a perfect way to keep it a secret.

Tsubine
    Tsubine
    The Not-as-Fun Admin

Humor : "Then just like before: the only way to steal is to steal from the mafia!"

Post by Tsubine Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:52 am

Neil raised an eyebrow. Maria was being, well, Maria. "Maria..." The mob boss sighed and shook his head. How to break this to her? "Maria, you're not doing a good job at hiding what you're... wearing or not wearing underneath that." Neil pointed to a crack in the blanket, showing her bare leg. "So you and I... We need to talk. Would you want it here or in my office? And no, this can't wait." After being invited in, Neil closed the door behind him. "Maria. I have heard some... things about you and Frankie. I think what you are doing is... foolish at best if what I hear is true. But I won't just waltz in and act on one side of the story. So I'll let you speak on it. Tell me, Maria, what is it you've been doing that's kept you away so much?"
    Serenity
    Serenity
    The Much-More-Fun Admin

Post by Serenity Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:04 am

When he said she wasn't hiding it well, she went to drop the blanket, but he stopped her. Maria stood there confused until he came in. As he closed the door, she looked around him to see if Frankie was there, but saw nothing. "People are talking about us?" Maria glanced away with a slight pout, having a few violent scenes run through her head. She didn't appreciate being told on. "I don't understand what it is foolish for." Maria said and turned toward her bed. She got down onto her knees and grabbed onto something. She pulled out a medium sized flat box that had a lot of books in them. Each book had muscly men and beautiful women on the cover. They were all romance novels.

"All of these have a system to them. The woman needs help, a man helps her, and they become a stronger friendship like you explained a couple weeks ago..." Maria grabbed one book in particular, "This is the only one that's different, and in this one the woman is strong too and doesn't need help, but works with the man until they do the same thing. Frankie and I work together, so last time he told me to be his girl I said I would try it. In all the books, soon after becoming someone's girl, they have sex, so I was going to let Frankie have sex with me. It's supposed to be private..." Maria's voice became annoyed with her last sentence, but then she sighed, "Frankie makes me feel nice, so it's time."

Tsubine
    Tsubine
    The Not-as-Fun Admin

Post by Tsubine Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:41 am

So the maid was right. Neil narrowed his eye and looked down at the books. Yep, cheap romance books. "Maria, do any of those books have a woman that ends up heartbroken because her 'man' doesn't want her? I imagine not. You having sex with Frankie would be something irresponsible." Neil thought for a moment, then realized this approach wouldn't work. "Maria, Frankie might want you to be his girl now, but that will change in a month or two. He will grow tired of you, and then he'll ignore you. That is just how Frankie is. He is what people call a 'player.' He is the type to have many different women be his 'girl,' but not really care for any of them."

"In other words, I don't think you know Frankie like I know him. He is only alive because two of the women he pissed off by leaving them are fighting each other for territory." Neil picked up one of the books and lightly tapped her head with it. "And also, life is not like a book. Anyone who tells you that has a narrow view on life. So do not make important life choices based on something you read in a dime store romance novel." Neil gave her a reassuring look. "When were you supposed to meet Frankie?"
    Serenity
    Serenity
    The Much-More-Fun Admin

Post by Serenity Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:04 am

Maria was quiet. She had nothing to say. She was wrong about something big. She knew this was going to be a mistake, but was ready to go through with it anyway. Maria sat on her knees, her back to Neil as he continued on. She flinched when the book tapped her head. Maria turned to answer his question when knock, knock, knock. She whimpered out of embarrassment. "Ten minutes from now and I..." Maria looked back to her books and sighed. She stood up, letting the blanket fall to the floor and walking toward the door. With an extremely pissed off expression, she opened the door and slapped Frankie across the face. "I hate you." she said before kneeing him in the groin, "Now fuck off!"

Maria slammed the door in Frankie's face, giving him no explanation. Maria walked back over to her pile of books. "These teach me nothing... right?" Maria's eyes shifted back up toward him. There was something new there, something angry. "Not... necessarily, Maria. These teach you some baselines for making some decisions—as well as how to critique a writer—but not how you should make decisions. It's more like... having a dictionary. You won't use every word in there, but you will know what certain words mean and how to use them. You make a decision based on what you feel and what you know. In this case, you simply didn't know the whole story."

"It is not fair. I never do!" Maria picked up one of the novels and held it tightly in her hand. She stared at the front cover and with each passing moment became more angry. Maria curled over on herself, whimpering and clenching her jaw tightly. A moment later, she began ripping up every book she had. She pulled off covers, tore through pages, and tossed them all into the trashcan, notably not missing a single shot. She even went so far as to bite them and use both hands to tear through every page.

Tsubine
    Tsubine
    The Not-as-Fun Admin

Post by Tsubine Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:15 am

Well, that was unexpected. Neil blinked in obvious surprise. He had not been expecting her to be that mad. Or to do that. But Neil would be lying if he said that it wasn't fun to watch. Frankie deserved that after Neil told him not to do such a thing. Of course, this would mean a lot of patching up between the two of them. This would be a problem, but not one right now. Maria's question had Neil hesitant. It was an odd question for one, but not what he meant to ask about. Then, the tantrum hit.

After Maria tore up the book she was reading, Neil jumped in and held her wrists tightly. He stared at her with a harsh eye. "Maria, stop." Neil let her go once she stopped fighting and started crying. As she curled into a corner, Neil squatted beside her. "Maria. You knew who was actually in charge of the Vonnera. Something I didn't know. You probably have other things like that that you know. You probably know more than you think when it comes to people. I don't know Frankie's full story, nor do I know yours. We can't always know the whole story on a situation." Neil patted the top of her head with his hand. "And even if you don't know it... what matters is learning from what you didn't know and did know. So next time you feel that way about someone... ask them how their relationships have been. It should help you figure out more about them. Oh, and you looked pretty in that lingerie. It... suits you, somehow."
    Serenity
    Serenity
    The Much-More-Fun Admin

Post by Serenity Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:47 am

"The woman at the shop said that too... I wanted the green one, but she said that this one is sexier." Maria wiped her face after grabbing a tissue of the night stand. Maria turned to face him and was still angry. She didn't usually show this much emotion, especially negative emotion. She could be happy and a bit cheerful, but she never acted on it. Right now, she was just plain angry. "I'm not asking anyone anything. Even if I did want to get to know someone in that manner, they wouldn't tell me anything anyway." Maria looked to the floor, clenching her jaw again  before turning away from Neil, "I shouldn't have hit him or said I hated him. That was stupid. Now he'll never ask me again."

Maria looked to her books and kicked them away from her. She stood up and walked around the bed to the bathroom. On the way there, she ripped the ribbons out of her hair and threw them on the floor. She removed her lingerie in the bathroom and tossed them out on the floor, returning in an casual nightgown. It reached to her feet and had sleeves that stopped below her elbow. Maria sat down on the opposite side of the bed from Neil and faced the wall. "I don't want to read anymore. I don't want to write anything either." Maria said, pretty much giving up something she had learned to love, "I apologize for wasting your time with this. I didn't mean for you to find out. I tried keeping it a secret."

Tsubine
    Tsubine
    The Not-as-Fun Admin

Post by Tsubine Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:29 pm

Maria was somewhat hard to read, if only because of her strange upbringing. But that wasn't all. She was so different from most people that Neil had met. Most were coniving, sneaky, and/or underhanded. Maria was not one of those. She could try, but she just... wasn't. But her emotions made it quite easy to read her compared to her normal self. Even then it wasn't easy overall. He stayed quiet for the most part, and he sighed when Maria left the room. He took the time to think and examine her room. There were a surprising number of books around it. And most of them looked to be romance novels. Gears started turning, and Neil sighed again. He had screwed up.

When Maria returned and faced the wall, Neil thought of what to say. He laid a hand on her shoulder and knelt down to be at eye-level. "Maria... The only time you have wasted my time since I have known you was when you asked me to spread the butter on your toast." It was meant to catch her attention, but he continued. "I may have spoken too... harshly and bluntly earlier. I take it that your absence was because of what you were doing with Frankie?" After getting confirmation, Neil nodded and continued. "I should have taught you things like that personally, and not have left it up to a book."

"Relationships... They are something that someone should tell you about. There is something in a man's word that can not be replicated in writing. Maybe it is the hesitance or saying what is coming to your mind with no filter." Neil patted her head to try to reassure and comfort her before standing up. "How about I try to make it up to you? If you're wanting to feel special, how about I show you something secret? Something that only I know of."

Serenity
    Serenity
    The Much-More-Fun Admin

Post by Serenity Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:52 pm

Maria turned to the hand on her shoulder and then to Neil. She looked sad and confused. "But I know how to do it now." she replied in a disagreeing tone. Maria nodded to answer him. "He said that if you knew you'd be mad at me. That you'd put in the dungeon again. I don't want to go back down there again, so I kept being secretive about it." Maria explained, looking away with an ashamed expression. When he explained what should have happened, Maria only became more confused. Why was the word different than writing? What was the hesitation for? What did he mean by filter? Wait, secret? He said secret, right? Maria looked up to Neil with a bit of a sparkle in her eye. "You would show me something like that?" Maria said excitedly and stood up, "I would like to see it or hear it... I wanna know it."

Tsubine
    Tsubine
    The Not-as-Fun Admin

Post by Tsubine Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:08 pm

Frankie was very close to getting on Neil's bad side. "Maria." Neil's voice was harsh at first, anger at Frankie seeping through. "I would not have been angry with you. You are... how you say... different from other people. You don't know much of the outside world. I would have been mad at Frankie. And I am mad at him because he was taking advantage of your lack of knowledge. And... the dungeon does still exist. But only for my enemies. Not my allies and those important to me." Neil gave a cold smile that showed an enjoyment in putting people in there.

"Get dressed then. We leave immediately." Neil walked out and gave Frankie, who was leaned against a wall clutching his manparts, a glare that said to get out of his sight. And Frankie scrambled away before Neil could say anything else. He grabbed his large overcoat and gloves before returning to Maria's room. "Follow me." And so, Neil took Maria out, his arm wrapped around hers to keep her safe. Grandview had an odd charm to it. Neil pointed out buildings as they walked, telling minor secrets about their owners.

As they neared the center of Grandview, Neil took an abrupt turn down an alley. There, a small door happened to be placed on a wall. Except that it was just that. A wall. There was no building there. "It's down here." Neil walked her down a dark stairway. And before long, they reached a ladder. And when they climbed up the ladder... Neil introduced Maria to a sight few people had seen. The large clicking of the clock face behind them gave idea of where they were. "That is the only remaining way to visit the actual clockworks. What do you think of this view?"

Serenity
    Serenity
    The Much-More-Fun Admin

Post by Serenity Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:33 pm

A soft whimper escaped when he said her name. She slouched like she was expecting to be scolded. His explanation comforted her a little, so she relaxed. She also mistook his smile over the dungeon as an addition to the implication that she was important. She would not go in the dungeon; that made her happy. Maria did not hesitate to get dressed. She was excited. It was like a child about to get his Christmas present or eat their birthday cake. When Neil returned, Maria followed him as instructed. She was surprised to have him wrap his arm around hers, but definitely enjoyed the closeness it brought. Maria was even more surprised when he began sharing bits of information about people, but that wasn't really her cup of tea. She listened and kept note of everything, but she'd never use it.

The sudden turn down the alley put Maria on high alert. The darkness reminded her where they were and who she was. She was Neil's bodyguard in Grandview. She could not let her guard down at all, so before anything bad happened, she was glad to remember that. Maria followed him down the stairway and then up the ladder. She had no idea where they were going, but when the two got there, she was taken aback by the beauty of Grandview. "It's... surreal. I learned that word yesterday." Maria hopped once and smiled happily, but then that smile dropped as she looked on the city, "It's pretty, but also kind of sad. The people in Grandview are so cruel. It's nice to feel peaceful, it's sad know that when day comes, everything is different. It be nice to meet people who didn't hurt each other."

"Neil... Can I ask you something? It's a little odd, but I'd like to know..." Maria looked to him curiously. When he gave her permission, Maria put her hands behind her back and continued looking out over the city. She was quiet, but deep in thought trying to word her question correctly. "Words don't always work the way I want, so I am trying to ask this the way I mean it..." she explained her silence, "Neil, what are you goals in life? And when I ask that, I mean do you want to be fifty or sixty years old and still be watching your back? Do you want to have a bodyguard at that time? You're so smart. I know there is something else in the world you'd be great at. There has to be... I want to own a house in the country with a dog named Lucky and meet the Queen. I don't think it will happen, but it's nice to hope."

Tsubine
    Tsubine
    The Not-as-Fun Admin

Post by Tsubine Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:51 pm

"When you meet someone who hasn't hurt anyone or wouldn't hurt anyone, let me know. I'd like to shake that person's hand." Neil didn't believe that such a person could exist. Her idea was noble, but naïve. He learned today that easing her out of such an idealistic view of the world was the only way for it to work. Otherwise, she'd freak out. And that was something he did not want to deal with again. Neil gave his permission to ask the strange question, and he almost immediately regretted it.

"Maria... that question is not a good one. I will always be watching my back, and I will always need a bodyguard. Even when I am old and senile, someone from my past will still want me dead. Even if I wanted to escape this town, it would always find me again. But I do get what you mean by your question. And the answer is more complicated than a simple yes or no. I do not want to always live in this town, but I like the freedom to act as I please. If someone tries to wrong me, I can wrong them back without worrying about if it is legal or not. That is what I enjoy about Grandview."

"But if I had to choose something more... outside Grandview to do, something more legal... This will be ironic, but I would want to be a spy or a constable. The former because of the freedom it gives me, and the latter because I can still get back at people who wronged me or others." Neil shrugged and lit a cigar. "Although retiring to the countryside in my later years may be something I do. Taria is beautiful this time of year. So, is there a reason you want to meet the Queen? And why 'Lucky' as your dog's name? Some sort of special meaning to you?"
    Serenity
    Serenity
    The Much-More-Fun Admin

Post by Serenity Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:37 pm

"Yes it is!" Maria immediately replied with a slight raised voice, angry that he would say something like that. Her questions were good. They meant something and she wanted to learn something about him from them. That was the point. As he continued on, Maria sat down and looked out over Grandview. "Your answer makes me mad. I hate it." she said bluntly after he finished. She took in a deep breath, held it, and then slowly let it out. "I want to meet the Queen because if I can do that, it means that I've changed the way my life is going. If I can get close enough to the Queen and talk to her, it means I'm nice. It means that I can be good and have a life where I'm happy and have real friends. I've always wanted a pet and like dogs, and if I got one, I thought I'd be lucky and name him that."

Maria sighed and hung her legs over the edge of the walk-way, swinging them back and forth. "I'm sorry I got angry, but I really don't like your answer. I can't tell whether you don't want to move out and be free from this dark world, or whether you actually feel you can't. I think you can... Things change. Things can always change if you try and sometimes you get lucky... I did." Maria looked up to Neil and pointed at herself, "I thought I would always be serving the Vonnera. I thought he was going to keep hurting me. I thought he was going to work me until I broke. I thought I was going to die there, but that changed." Maria stood up and held herself a bit stronger than she had before. She looked like she was going into a battle or defending him from an attacker, "You changed that for me."

"There are hundreds, if not thousands of places out there that are better than here. And if there is anyone in this shitty city that has the ability to get out, it's you! No one else is as intelligent. No one else is as resourceful. Only you. I understand that acting freely is something you desire, but the only reason you desire that is because of this city, this place... and these PEOPLE!" Maria screamed out over Grandview, "I refuse to believe that you were born with the desire to live your life based on the ability to get revenge and hold people's secrets over their heads. It's what this place has taught you; it's what it's taught all of them. The only reason I am different, like you say, is because I was kept in a dungeon. I was locked away and tortured into submission because I never had any other chance."

"You though... You have the power to change. You have the power to go out there, experience what this world has, and to make yourself better. I don't understand how you could refuse to do that just because of a few laws that, if anything, would protect you. Mister Vonnera said there is a reason that people stay in Grandview, but I can't see it. I want to leave this place... If I could, I would. I would run away and never come back, but you keep me here." Maria narrowed her eyes and looked back to him, "And not forcefully. I don't mean that. I mean you keep me here by being... by being you! I don't know what that means. All I know is that it's in my head. I could run away. I could vanish completely, but I don't and it's all because of this strange want... this confusing desire that I have to be with YOU!"

Tsubine
    Tsubine
    The Not-as-Fun Admin

Post by Tsubine Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:01 am

After being told once to listen, Neil obeyed. Maria was speaking quite... well, for once. She was angry, and it made sense he supposed. But she wasn't wrong. That's what bothered Neil through her whole rant. She was not wrong. At the same time, she wasn't right either. It was an interesting conundrum that was about to give Neil a headache when Maria's last sentence came out. His eye widened, and he sighed. He thumped ashes over the railing and looked over the walled cesspool.

"You are right, Maria. I was not born this way. I was a baker's son. And no, I have no desire to open up a bakery. But my parents were taken from me by their own stupidity, and I was left to fend for myself. I learned young that in here, you make sure that you get revenge and that you prevent others from getting revenge on you. No, it is not an ideal system. And I have many scars to prove that it doesn't always work."

"But Maria, you are wrong on something. If someone took you from me, I could very easily go in and make sure that I brought you back safe and unharmed. Outside of the city, I would not have such a luxury. If I want to help someone, I have to worry about the legality of my actions. To me, the best path is rarely the legal one. And that is probably clouded by my view by my time in Grandview." Neil then looked at Maria for the first time since he started talking.

"I am able to change my future too. That you were right about. But I can not change my past. What I said about a bodyguard and looking over my shoulder, I can not change that." Neil shrugged. "I do not trust the laws to keep me safe, Maria. That is why I do not travel outside of the city. Because I dealt with criminals in my past, they will break the laws to get me. And I trust in my strength and the strength of who I have protecting me to keep me safe."

Neil stretched and looked back over the city. "Truth be told, Maria... Your absence from being with Frankie these past two weeks has bothered me. I trust you to have my back now, something only one or two people have ever had. So until you have had enough of me, don't leave my side." Neil raised a finger after realizing something. "I don't mean that literally though. You can leave my side to use the bathroom, to eat, etc. But don't avoid me like you had before. If I need or want to see you, I'd like to be able to know that I can find you."
    Serenity
    Serenity
    The Much-More-Fun Admin

Post by Serenity Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:26 am

By the time Maria's rant was over, she out breathless. Besides the single break in between, she had spoke fluidly and ran out of breath. She caught her breath as he talked, but she also contemplated to herself. That was the first time in her life where she told someone to just listen to her. She had never expressed herself so clearly before, nor thought she'd have the right to. When he did not retaliate by striking her, Maria was completely shocked. It was a pleasant feeling not to be punished for how you felt. And the first thing that Neil said was even more surprising. Not only was he not yelling, but he gave her information about his past. That was the kind of stuff she wanted to know about.

Things were being put into place. Thoughts were being collected. Maria understood. The people from his past are the ones he's worried about. Okay then. Her eyes shifted around a few times, like she was making her own plans. "I'll keep you safe. I'll make sure no one in your past comes after you, ever." Maria said with a smile. As he continued on, Maria felt her face warm. She was unaware that her cheeks had turned a nice shade of red, but she could feel the blush as it crept up on her. She stepped forward to do as asked, but he stopped her. She was too literal at times. "I don't want to leave you. I want to stay with you for as long as you don't hate me, but just sitting in the house is boring..."

"Chores are hard and repetitive. The most I've done is clean, paperwork, sharpen my knives, and other things you need me to do. I like helping you, but I want to have fun! I've never had fun before, and I don't mean the fighting people type of fun. I mean the laughing, smiling, friends type of fun. Frankie says that people in Grandview go to dance places with music and lights going everywhere. He also talked about the beach; I've never seen the ocean. I heard men like to fish; do you?" Maria caught herself as she was going off on a tangent, "I was talking a lot, but I can't help it. I don't get to talk that much to people. I want some friends, but I don't trust anyone in Grandview. Except you, obviously."

Tsubine
    Tsubine
    The Not-as-Fun Admin

Post by Tsubine Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:06 pm

Neil thought for a moment, then nodded. The house would be boring for someone who doesn't know how to read or make their own fun. There was a lack of good entertainment. Neil would have to work out a new way for Maria to have fun. "Sometimes, yes. I do not like fishing for the most part, but with good company it can be entertaining." Neil threw the burnt-out cigar off the side of the clocktower, watching it tumble. "You would not like the clubs in Grandvi—mm, maybe there are a couple you would like, but I would prefer you to be a bit more... read-up on things before you go to them. For your safety and the safety of others." Neil was talking, of course, about the few clubs meant for women. He could not, and would not, escort her there. She'd have to be a bit more defensive if she were to venture there.

"As for the beach... I'm sure I can arrange a trip south. It actually has been a while since I have gone there. It is also getting to be the right time of year to truly enjoy the beach. Oh, when we go... don't forget to bring your knives. The ocean is full of dangerous creatures, you know." Neil gave her a small smile before putting a hand on her shoulder. "So a trip to the beach. Does that sound like fun to you?"
    Serenity
    Serenity
    The Much-More-Fun Admin

Post by Serenity Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:57 pm

The chance of Maria wearing a bathing suit just dropped when she remembered she had to bring her knives. Those don't just appear; they're carefully arranged throughout her clothing. Bathing suits don't give the amount of cover she needs to keep them hidden. Oh well. Maria nodded. "I won't forget." she confirmed and then smiled widely, "I'm gonna build a sand castle, catch crabs, kill the jelly fish, punch a shark, and ride a whale." Her goals about the beach were a little out there, but she thought she could really do all of that. Maria giggled happily as she thought about he incoming trip. "A trip to the beach sounds like the best trip ever! Let's just pick one where not many people will be. It'll be more fun if I don't have to be on super alert the entire time. Is that possible? Are their private beaches?"

Tsubine
    Tsubine
    The Not-as-Fun Admin

Post by Tsubine Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:05 am

"I will advise against riding a whale." The rest sounded like things she could do. But riding a whale... not so much. Her comment about the private beach annoyed Neil, thought not because of the comment itself. "None that I own, unfortunately." Neil had been meaning to buy a strip of beach to be his own. Unfortunately, the plots he wanted were all taken. And he never had the chance to inspect other plots to see if they were salvagable. "I do own a small house in Taria though. It is quieter there. More of a retirement community than a tourist attraction. That means a strip of the beach is mine, but not the whole beach. And we have to abide by the rules of the community. Which, unfortunately, includes a ban on weapons..."

Neil thought for a moment, then a wry smile came across his face. "Except for diving knives." Neil thought for a moment and nodded. "Bring your knives, but don't wear them on the beach. I'll buy you a diving knife for our defense there. Consider it a token of my apology for earlier. Does that sound like a good deal to you?"

Serenity
    Serenity
    The Much-More-Fun Admin

Post by Serenity Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:21 am

"You own a house in the place that you say you might retire to in later years. That's nice. That I like." Maria said with rather sweet and radiant smile. Something about knowing that made her glow a bit; it was just a bit more hope for Neil. "A diving knife should work just fine for me! I've never had one before!" Maria exclaimed in excitement and giggled, shuffling her feet cheerfully. When she thought about whether it was a good deal or not, she tilted her head and then shook it. "No. I wanna get you a gift too." Maria said and then thought about it, "It'll be a token of gratitude for everything that has happened since I met you. Guarding you is a job, but getting a new home, not being in the dungeon, no more conditioning sessions, and the best food I've ever eaten deserves a thank you. And no, I'm not taking no for an answer. It is the last thing I will disagree with you on... maybe."

Tsubine
    Tsubine
    The Not-as-Fun Admin

Post by Tsubine Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:28 am

Neil once again patted Maria on the head. She was a good young woman and a good employee. Despite her naïvety, she wasn't dumb. Ignorance is not stupidity until you don't want to recitify your lack of knowledge on something. And Maria wanted to learn. "Don't worry Maria. I won't say no to that. A gift from the heart is always a welcome thing. It shows loyalty, dedication, and humanity. This town doesn't really have any of those things though, does it?" Neil looked out over the town. It was a cesspool, but it was his cesspool. And he was slowly, very slowly, trying to change it into an organized group. That was why the Vonnera had to go. That was why any of his enemies and rivals needed to die or disappear. And it was why the Bellante Trading Company scandal worried him. "It's getting cold, Maria. I think we should head back before it gets too late." Neil opened the door leading to the ladder, letting Maria go first as he had one final look at Grandview at night.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:47 am