Auroran Era

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Staff

Top posting users this month

No user

Latest topics

» He Knows Not Where He Be [Open]
Like Humans Do [Closed] - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 25, 2016 4:11 am by Dai

» Returning Home [Closed]
Like Humans Do [Closed] - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 20, 2016 8:32 pm by Tsubine

» Serenity's Face Claims
Like Humans Do [Closed] - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 15, 2016 2:29 pm by Serenity

» Escape from Ezon [CLOSED]
Like Humans Do [Closed] - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 10, 2016 3:25 am by Serenity

» Running on Idle [Closed]
Like Humans Do [Closed] - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 06, 2016 8:06 am by Schnockles

» The Deflowering [Closed]
Like Humans Do [Closed] - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 19, 2016 5:34 pm by Schnockles

» Serenity's Character List
Like Humans Do [Closed] - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 17, 2016 10:36 am by Serenity

» Amelia Bennett [APPROVED, 3-5]
Like Humans Do [Closed] - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 17, 2016 9:44 am by Tsubine

» Kenta [Approved; 1-2]
Like Humans Do [Closed] - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 17, 2016 8:27 am by Serenity

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 4514 messages in 615 subjects

We have 20 registered users

The newest registered user is Illthion

3 posters

Like Humans Do [Closed]

Tsubine
    Tsubine
    The Not-as-Fun Admin

Humor : "Then just like before: the only way to steal is to steal from the mafia!"

Like Humans Do [Closed] - Page 2 Empty Re: Like Humans Do [Closed]

Post by Tsubine Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:47 pm

Like Humans Do [Closed] - Page 2 Header7

Every night, Hacil heaved up whatever food she ate. Thankfully the nutrients did have time to set in, but her body was weakening over time. She wanted to just sleep for a whole week now, probably moreso than anyone else here. She stayed awake slightly longer than the others every night, as she prepared food for the next day.

As the night of their final night dawned (or would it be 'dusked?'), Hacil was feeling better than the other nights. Maybe the exhaustion had harmed her mind, but maybe... she was getting used to such exhaustion. She hadn't had to use her powers very much, so it helped that she had anima to spare. Although her muscles had yet to ache, her mind was busting at the seams. She did not even notice Snopy collapse until he spoke up.

As Hacil began to set up camp right where they stopped, she could tell something was wrong. Elwyn had set Nilani down and her younger sister was spasming every few seconds. Hacil cursed the fact she could only do offensive things when it came to others and her anima. She wasn't like her sister, even though she did wish she could do some of the things Elwyn could. But was wrong was Elwyn's hands. They were shaking. Elwyn never shook.

Hacil's eyes widened in concern, and she wanted to hug her sister to tell her it would be okay. But her sister gave her no such time. Doing something Hacil never thought she would, it only confirmed that something was wrong with Elwyn. But her sister was just as stubborn as she was. There would be no talking her out of this, and there didn't need to be a fight. Hacil just pushed slightly back with her own forehead—a way to symbolize "I'm here, do not worry" or "You have my full support" in this case.

Hacil reached out to grab her sister's hand to tell her something else, but Elwyn was too fluid. Even with her body jerking around and shaking, it was only like a rushing rapid. She was still just as beautiful as a still lake, and just as dangerous as well. As Elwyn darted off, Hacil yelled to her sister. "You better come back... or... I'm going to kick your ass!" It was the most comforting thing she could say. She didn't quite have a way with words.

Hacil was swift in setting up their camp, and made sure to leave one cleaned patch for Elwyn. As she finished, she looked over to Snopy who was their sentinel for the night. She let out a small smile and walked over to him. "Snopy..." Hacil shook her head and bent down, grabbing him. She dragged him over some, and placed him in front of a large rock. There was a reason for this. Now he could rest his back on something. "There. Now you should be more comfortable, Mister Hero."

Hacil was trying to be as nonchalant about this whole thing right now. And to her, Snopy was a hero. If he hadn't said anything, Hacil would have been trapped and possibly in the same state as Nilani—or worse. He was also risking his life for someone he just met. Yeah, he was a hero in Hacil's book. Hacil sat down on the opposite side of the rock, and looked over at her remaining sister, only a few feet away.

"Thank you..." Hacil couldn't look at Snopy as she spoke to him. "You're helping out some people you just met by pushing your body to the absolute limits... and we're of a different race than you. I have met nice humans—ones that would tolerate my presence as an elf... but never one who would stick his neck out for one. I appreciate it..."

Hacil began to hum to herself slightly after. It was the same tune she would sing each night to calm Nilani down some. She peered down at her fingers, which were ashen to the middle joint. Everything she touched was like touching pins and needles, but it was a good sign. Her nerves hadn't burned away... yet. "Say... how did you come across my sisters?"

Serenity
    Serenity
    The Much-More-Fun Admin

Post by Serenity Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:53 pm

Like Humans Do [Closed] - Page 2 ElwynNilani_zps76d89bc4

With the Anima she pulled back from Snopy and Hacil, Elwyn was able to book it. Her body was screaming at her, wanting her to stop this torture, but there was no way she could do that. Her sister's life was in danger and if she hesitated one bit, Nilani could die. Elwyn's love for Nilani and will power have been the only things that were keeping her going through all of this. If she died in the process, oh fucking well. Now that they had finally gotten out of the forest, hills  were the only thing in her way. She thanked Lisanthria the moment she saw mountains off in the distance and realized she didn't have to cross them. She came closer and closer to Hillfort, the lights becoming more and more clear. There was a huge gate though, it surrounded the entire city. It was a military base after all.

As she came up to the gate, the sun was rising and the guards stopped her from going further. "Turn back, elf. You have no business here." one of the guards told her and raised his weapon. Elwyn narrowed her eyes, wanting nothing more than to freeze him from the inside out, but that would help nothing. "P-Please..." she spoke out, intentionally showing panic and pointing back toward where she had come from. She even forced out a few tears, which was much easier than it would have previously been. "My sister was poisoned by that damn Viridescent Snake. It's going on five days. She's small and the pain is already too much. We need help!" The looked to each other and then back to her, calling out for someone, who came forward to get the story. Elwyn repeated it and was told to follow.

With every strength in her being, Elwyn did what she could to follow the guards. People stared at her as she passed, some whispered in confusion. Elves were obviously just as uncommon here as they were anywhere else. At least Aria was one city that wasn't too bad. It was about a fifteen minute walk before they finally got to what looked like a research facility. Elwyn was met by a woman who had apparently already been informed. The woman came forward and happily handed her a vial of something. Elwyn couldn't read it. She understood Arcadian, couldn't read or write in it. She looked worried and confused at the woman, who just smiled right back at her and put a hand on her shoulder. The moment this was done, Elwyn let out a wince of pain and the woman pulled her hands back.

"You've... practically exhausted your Anima, haven't you?" the woman asked and Elwyn nodded. The woman looked worriedly at her and glanced toward another man in the room, who immediately picked up a device Elwyn hadn't seen before; obviously Zakatian. "Don't worry." the woman said and gently guided her into a chair, "We'll get you to your sister within the next couple of hours." Elwyn wasn't usually trusting of humans, but right now she was about to put a hell of a lot of faith in this woman. It was all she could do. Elwyn rest for a while. She fell asleep for about three hours before she was woken up by the same woman. "Come on. We have a carriage waiting for you. I'll be coming with you to make sure the right amount of anti-venom is given." Elwyn just nodded, having no strength to argue.

Within the next hour, Elwyn was actually carried to a carraige while sleeping. They woke her up once they got to the gate she hand entered and asked where she wanted them to go. She pointed in the direction of Nilani and the rest and forced herself to stay awake. After about three hours of being moved by horse drawn carriage, she could finally see Nilani and the rest up on the hill. "That's them..." Elwyn woke up, holding back tears and just hoping nothing happened while she was gone. It took five minutes from seeing them before they pulled up. Elwyn was covered in a blanket and sitting between to guards, so she was a little difficult to see. She forced herself to stand and was helped out of the carriage by the guards. She dropped the blanket from around her head and looked toward the three.

"Is Nilani okay?" she spoke up and smiled softly, two tears falling down her her face. From there, the five guards that accompanied them, the woman who offered to come, and the man that had called for the carriage all jumped out and made their way over to Nilani. "They have the anti-dote... It needs to be done right, otherwise we could only make things worse..." Elwyn used the explanation that the woman had given her on the way here. She then made her way over to Nilani, who was passed out and dripping wet from her own sweat. Elwyn kept a close eye on the woman, glaring toward the other guards when they got too close. The anti-venom was given and the woman took a deep breath and smiled, "Alright. She should be much better within five minutes. We'll wait here to make sure."

"What happens if she's not?" Elwyn asked, her voice calm and extremely tired. "If she's not, we rush back to Hillfort and do whatever we can, but I'm confident that your sister will be fifty percent better by tomorrow..." the woman said with a smile, "And the other fifty percent will just be her body healing from the damage the venom did... You did good getting her here. The only other places in Arcadia that have the anti-venom are Aria, and you have to get to the Queen for that, or Haven, which is more of a fortress than Hillfort is at times... You guys got lucky." The woman place a hand gently on Elwyn's shoulder to comfort her and then walked off. Elwyn just stared down at Nilani, waiting for her sister to open her eyes. And within three minutes, Nilani's eyes fluttered open and her body stopped shaking.

Schnockles
    Schnockles

Post by Schnockles Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:14 pm

Like Humans Do [Closed] - Page 2 SnopyAE_zps1054f6b7

Elwyn didn't say much more as she left, he only hoped his point had been made. Hacil had similar sentiments to tell her before she left, of course something told him she had something else she wanted to say. She'd have more to tell Elwyn than he would, that was for sure. He wasn't family, they were. Snopy had set himself to be guard, and he was fully prepared to do so. Seemed though that Hacil didn't like the struggling his current post required of him. He was most certainly not having the easiest time sitting up. The moment she grabbed him, he had to hold in a scream of pain. That wasn't comfortable. Ahri knew he was in pain, but by now she had seen that Hacil probably didn't have intent to harm him, so all she could do was let out a sad little cry as she sensed her owner's pain. "H-hacil, what are you...that hurts." He didn't mean to let the last part slip, but a quick jolt of pain hitting at that very moment has a way of doing that. That was the initial feeling of being propped against the rock. It took a moment before he realized that he no longer needed to recoil away from the rock, and that it was just a rock. He began to lean back, realizing that while being on the rock would be a better guard vantage point, but he'd likely fall and, well, he didn't think his neck would be able to take that kinda hit right now.

Hacil opened her mouth, and while he was about to thank her she decided not to shut it. Out of that little mouth popped a few words. Snopy immediately recoiled, as if the sound waves had cause some sort of blunt pressure, and bumped his back and head against the rock. What did she just say to him? "Pardon? Ow." He rubbed the back of his head. Did she just call him a hero? "That...wording is a tad too strong." He said as he bit his lower lip. He didn't know what to say, what was with this girl? Sure he was trying to help, but she seemed to be viewing him as a lot more than he actually was. "All I'm good at is learning things. Observation, deduction, analysis. We all saw how much good that did when..." Snopy turned to Nilani and sighed. Hacil continued on about how hard he was pressing himself. "You're looking for my sister. She'd do it just because it was the right thing to do, I..." Snopy could barely look at her. "Every time I help...it's not because it's the right thing to do...I don't know why I do it. If I was who you thought I was, I wouldn't need to find a reason. I wouldn't question my actions and wonder why, I'd just do it and be happy if it ended well!" He shouted, this has obviously been bugging him. Somehow he didn't realize that even if his mind was looking desperately for answers, the fact he kept helping them. The fact that he got enraged when Nilani was injured. The fact he was still here, should have been proof that inside his heart was just as kind a heart as Hacil thought. Hell, at this point she probably knew, they all did, Snopy might be the only one who has yet to acknowledge his heart hasn't turned to stone.

He sat in silence, ever alert watching for potential danger, as Hacil began to hum something. She had a surprisingly soothing voice for someone so sarcastic at times. He just silently listened, occasionally perking up when he thought he heard something. Then Hacil asked. "How did you meet my sisters?" Snopy looked back up. "I...can hardly remember. I haven't thought about it." He sat in silence for a moment before thinking some more. "Oh yeah, Elwyn saved my life. A monster was attacking, and she saved me...then some thugs came in to attack her, I tried to diffuse the situation...but she ended up saving me again, when words failed." That's when Snopy thought he realized something. "Maybe that's why I'm doing it, I'm merely repaying an owed debt." He was not in the least convincing when he spoke. It was like he was frightened, and desperately looking for an answer, and trying to latch onto something that makes sense. That's how his voice must have sounded. Yet someone doesn't go this far to simply repay a debt.

Some time passed. His body was calling out to him, begging for sleep. It needed healing, and the body did most of it's healing while one sleeps. It's why things seem to go away overnight, or get smaller at the least. Eight hours of increased healing will do that. He did not sleep at all, he kept guard. He told Elwyn he'd protect her sisters, and while he still have 0 clue to his true reasons, it was a promise he'd keep. Eventually Snopy spotted something in the far distance. Something was coming, it was large. Shit, Snopy only had a crossbow. If this was threatening, he had one shot and he wouldn't have time to reload. Crossbows don't leave much room for second chances to those who aren't skilled in reloading them, and even the skilled have to have a moment's peace to get the next bolt readied. The carriage came up, and Snopy had his crossbow readied. His hands were shaking and his body was at it's breaking point, but he managed to stand up. Obviously the guards wouldn't appreciate having a crossbow aimed at them, but then he saw her. In the carriage was Elwyn. "Elwyn? Thank god." He dropped the crossbow down, he didn't think he needed it any longer and he didn't have the strength to hold it.

When she asked about Nilani he just pointed at her. "Not good...but alive." His voice wasn't sounding so good. A woman had come along, alongside the guards. Apparently they had the antidote, that's good. He silently listened to the conversation and how Nilani should be fine, but if not they'd have to rush her back. Snopy at this point was sure the mission was a success. "She'll be okay...that's good. I'm glad to see you're okay too Elwyn...maybe now I can just..." At that beginning Snopy began coughing violently, it was dangerously violently. He just kept going and going and wouldn't stop...then...blood. It wasn't just a little, a disturbing amount of blood began spewing from his mouth. It wasn't enough that he was going to die on the spot, but he was in terrible shape. He needed sleep, without it his body wasn't patching up any weaknesses and wounds, and instead they began opening up. From there he simply collapsed. He wasn't conscious, there was still a bit of blood on his lips which now went down the corner of his mouth. He did what someone of his strength should never do, and he was paying for it.
    Tsubine
    Tsubine
    The Not-as-Fun Admin

Humor : "Then just like before: the only way to steal is to steal from the mafia!"

Post by Tsubine Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:47 pm

Like Humans Do [Closed] - Page 2 Header7

Even though this guy was nice. Even though this guy was helping them out... Hacil wanted to knock his jaw to Aria. She grit her teeth as he ignored what praise she could give him. "Do really need a reason to help? A debt? Are you kidding? This goes beyond the scope of repaying a debt. If you wanted to repay a debt to her, you would have... I don't know, given her some gold or something! But running—literally running from where we were to here... If anything, she owes you."

Hacil clenched some grass in her fist tightly. "Whether it's because you wanted to do the right thing or not... That's what you ended up doing. Do what you want. If it's the right thing, it's the right thing. If it's not, then it's not. You have the freedom to choose. You're lucky to have that freedom too." After that, Hacil was completely silent. In fact, she was in a sort-of trance while staring at Nilani's unconscious body.

In this trance, Hacil was just thinking of what she wanted to do. She wanted to get away from the clan, but then what? What was there for Hacil Ensandraen? What life could she lead? She could be a mercenary... if there were any companies that would hire an elf. Maybe she'd find another clan and live there? No, she'd risk political backlash if they found out about her background. Truthfully, Hacil hadn't thought much of the future. She just knew the drama in the family was getting to her enough that she is considering leaving.

Hacil stayed in that trance, and it was not until Elwyn spoke up that she was snapped out of it. As the woman administered the antidote, Hacil stood up... and ran towards her older sister. With what strength she could muster, she actually hugged Elwyn. "Thank you... Just... thank you..." Hacil began to cry a bit as well. Saving Nilani was the first thing they had shared in a long time besides an argument.

Before Nilani could wake up, Hacil heard... coughing. She broke the hug, and looked to Snopy, who was now lying on his side—blood dripping from his mouth. Hacil shook him slightly, and realized his body temperature was low. Very low. Dangerously low. He'd have to be warmed up, and the small campfire wasn't going to be enough... "Stand back." Hacil ordered to her sister and the guards.

Hacil knelt down and held her arms over Snopy. "If she can do this... so can I..." Hacil muttered to herself, not caring who heard her. What she was going to do was no small feat. It was something she had never done. But dammit, she needed to do it. Hacil took in a breath and closed her eyes. Sparks formed from her charred fingers, and a low heat emerged from her palms. But that was not all.

As she increased the temperature to soothe Snopy's body, she began to feel the fluctuations. Her body shook, but with another deep breath, it stopped. And within a second, two bright wings burst from her back—each the size of a house. These were not actual wings, but flames in the shape of wings. She was forcing her body's excess powers to another part. Her back tingled as it was charred by the fire. Snopy's muscles were relaxing inside of his body, and his body temperature was steadily increasing.

Hacil's back began to bleed as the uncontrolled fire tore through her skin. She resisted screaming, as she didn't need to wake Nilani up. After a few minutes of this, Hacil stopped. The wings that illuminated the night sky dispersed into embers and her hands fell to her side. She felt Snopy's arms and his neck—his temperature was back to normal. His aches should have also melted away... but the cool night breeze did not disappear. It ran across Hacil's back and her eyes widened in pain as she held back a yelp.

Hacil had the power of Elwyn, but lacked the refinement. She could muster up the same amount of raw Anima, but her sister would always be able to beat her in a prolonged battle. Hacil's face was drenched in sweat as she looked to Snopy. "Don't think... you owe me... a damn thing... you crazy sonnuvabitch." Hacil's breath was labored, and she turned to Nilani and Elwyn from around the rock.

She tried to stand as she could see Nilani beginning to move about. Hacil stood up the best she could and waddled over to her sisters. She smiled as she could feel the blood dripping down her own back. The black scars from her 'wings' oozed the red liquid, but it was not enough that she would risk bleeding out. Her worst enemy was pain and an infection. "Are you feeling any better?" Hacil asked her younger sister, who finally seemed to be awake...
    Serenity
    Serenity
    The Much-More-Fun Admin

Post by Serenity Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:44 am

Like Humans Do [Closed] - Page 2 ElwynNilani_zps76d89bc4

Elwyn was absolutely exhausted at this point. The woman could barely stand, was in an immense amount of pain, and was ready to have a fifteen hour sleep. Hearing that Nilani was still alive made her feel so much better, but she was still worried. Out of the corner of her eye, Elwyn noticed Hacil standing up and looked toward her younger sister. She was about to say something when Hacil hugged her. Elwyn was taken aback, both by this gesture and by the pain she had to hide. She tensed a bit, but held any pained expression back well enough that it would not bother anyone. And the moment Hacil hugged her, she wrapped an arm around her and placed a hand on the back of her head, kissing her forehead like before. This was always Elwyn's wave of showing affection to her sisters.

It was then that a serious fit of coughing came about. Elwyn looked over to Snopy with a worried expression, but when she saw that blood that changed to shock. She was about to yell for the people who had come with her, but Hacil stepped forward. Usually, Elwyn would have told Hacil to step back and let the professionals handle it, but she heard those whispered words all to clearly. Her fiery sister was determined and ready to do what she needed to do. This was something that Elwyn wasn't used to seeing and it made her proud. She watched Hacil warm Snopy up. And when those wings made their first appearance, Elwyn had a look of wide-eyed awe show on her face. Her jaw even half-dropped and she mouthed the word 'wow' before looking back to Hacil and seeing her back.

"Hacil..." Elwyn said her name in a worried 'what the hell are you doing' whisper. She couldn't say it out loud. She had treated her sister so differently before, while they were back at the clan, but here she could not. She watched her sister's back blacken and burn. When the wings faded, blood seeped from her new wounds and Elwyn remembered that Hacil had yet to fully refine her Anima. All of their arguing and all of the distance that was put between them, Elwyn wasn't able to really help her sister in that aspect. She was the one training Nilani after all, she should have helped Hacil, but it was becoming so much clearer now. These rules and expectations that were forced onto them since they were young practically tore them apart. When Hacil was done, Elwyn watched her move to Nilani.

"Yeah, I'm better, I think..." Nilani spoke up in a weakened voice. She sat up and wiped her eyes. She noticed Snopy and the blood, then noticed the wounds on Hacil's back as she crawled over, and then looked to Elwyn to see how absolutely drained she was. "What the hell happened?" Nilani asked in shock, looking back and forth between her two sisters. Elwyn went to say something, stopped, smiled, and just chuckled. After a while, it turned into a weak laugh and she fell to her knees and just sat there, wiping a tear from her eyes. "It seems these two and your sister," the woman spoke up, only knowing Elwyn as Nilani's sister at this point, "Went through there own version of hell to make sure you got the anti-venom you needed. Any longer and we might not have made it on time..."

"Though, it looks like you guys are pretty beaten up... Badly," the woman said and then looked back to the people at the carriage, motioning for them to come over here, "You're going to need a healer, a good one, and there's only one we know of... If you're okay with a little trip to Aria, Lord McLelland is supposed to be making a trip there soon. You might be able to take up a spot on his cart." Elwyn looked to the weakened Nilani, burned Hacil, blood vomiting Snopy, and then thought about her own current condition. These wounds would take months to heal, especially with the internal damage that she knows that they all took with her boost. If she took it, she knows they did. And not to mention that damage the poison did to Nilani. "Yeah, sure..." was all Elwyn said before she fell asleep sitting up.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:28 pm